Photography book recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 25 Aug 2022

Any views recommendations for a relatively easy to understand and well illustrated book?

I bought the camera and a couple of lenses a few months ago, really like it, however, I'm not the most technically minded and am better with a book than other types of learning.

I'd like to get to be reasonably ok at shutter speeds, 'f' stuff....etc etc....

Any guidance? 

OP abr1966 26 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

Bump

Chewie65 26 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

as much as the internet is a horrible thing in so many ways. 
I’ve used you tube mainly, as I’m not a book person. Plus I can follow the steps as someone is doing them  especially on Lightroom/photoshop.
I’ve been dabbling in night/Astro and gained information from there. Facebook, whilst it’s crap it does have user groups for different makers. Often the community is very helpful, the manufacturer I use is an amazing group,  if you take the odd “I have opinion about everything” out if the equation, it helps.
Again, Flickr has groups and then discussion threads within them

just outline what you are looking to use it for. 

Removed User 26 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

Just get on Adorama on youtube.

SouthernSteve 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Removed User:

I agree about YouTube and also Nikon, Canon and Wex do some helpful videos (± communities)

Tom Ang usually does a good book and although I have not seen this version The Digital Photographer's Handbook: 7th Edition should give you the depth of field/aperture/shutter speed (mechanistic) stuff as well as some composition tips and it seems cheap on Amazon. Apologies if this proves a bad recommendation. 

Tringa 26 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

I know you said you are better with a book than other types of learning so this link might not appear very appealing to you.

However, although it is online, it is all text and diagrams so can be read like a book, albeit online rather than in your hand.

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Dave

65 26 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

I prefer books as well.

The first book which comes to mind is The Landscape Photography Workshop by Ross Hoddinott and Mark Bauer. Of course the subject and exercises are about landscape but I thought it explained operating the camera, composition and post-processing very clearly. I have quite a few photography books but as a basic starter manual covering most of the basics you won't go far wrong with this.

https://www.wob.com/en-gb/books/ross-hoddinott/landscape-photography-worksh... 

Clauso 26 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

I can email you a crap ton of relevant booklets in PDF format, if you're interested...

Introductory stuff, and genres such as landscape, wildlife, macro, portraits etc.

In reply to abr1966:

Hi, check out Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Book series;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Photography-Book-Part-dp-0321934946/dp/032...

It's a "learn how to how to do x" style of approach to understanding photography rather than starting with the technicalities, which people I've shared the books with have found to be useful. 

OP abr1966 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Colin Henderson:

Thanks all...for the suggestions and kind offers....I'll have a look at the suggested books and order one.

I was the kid at school who was near the top in some subjects and right at the bottom in other (sciences and anything technical)!

I need to read carefully and think it through when I learn something out of my natural area....give me art, English, history any day. A book is just better for me to slowly absorb the info and to be able to retain it.

In reply to abr1966:

I would second Scott Kelby's books. I found them very accessible and go back to them. Also throwing in "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

MisterPiggy 29 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

'Photography', Upton & Upton. A classic textbook that 25+ years of American photo students have used. My own early edition (from the film era) is still relevant, though I did snag another more recent one on the auction site as it now covers all you need to know about digi photo too.

Reading photo books is almost as much fun as taking photos - enjoy !

shaigh 30 Aug 2022
In reply to abr1966:

Tony Northrup's DSLR Book is a great starting point.

Also, look at Ben Tibbet's "Alpenglow" or Jimmy Chin's "There and Back" for climbing related inspiration  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...