Arcteryx Alpha FL pack hipbelt support

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hovhtm 13 Aug 2022

Hello want to buy Arcteryx Alpha FL pack so want to know

Is this pack hipbelt supportive and how much takes the load off from shoulders ?  Thank you.

VictorM 13 Aug 2022
In reply to hovhtm:

I haven't used this pack myself but I've read some reviews stating that it's really supportive for what it is. It does remain a climbing pack and I've used similarly designed packs with a lot of weight in them on alpine approaches and I would say most are tolerable but not so much really comfortable. 

In my experience packs like these perform best when loaded with about 10kg max but they work on approaches without causing serious problems up to about 18-20kgs. Bit strength- and build dependent of course. 

OP hovhtm 13 Aug 2022
In reply to VictorM:

Thank you

echo34 13 Aug 2022
In reply to hovhtm:

It’s just a webbing strap but works fairly well. You could always add some foam to it if you wanted more padding. I don’t use the hip belt on mine as I do t really like hip belts and don’t carry enough weight to need it (carries a track and rope comfortably just on the shoulders)

OP hovhtm 13 Aug 2022
In reply to echo34:

Thanks a lot

rgold 17 Aug 2022
In reply to hovhtm:

I think the "hip belt" on that pack is intended to increase the stability of the load, not to bear weight.  The pack doesn't have a frame, just a foam stiffener on the back panel, so the ability to transfer any load to a waist strap is limited.  You can cinch up the waist strap and get at least some load-bearing effect, but I don't think that's really the purpose, and, given that the strap is unpadded webbing, is likely to be uncomfortable.

tingle 17 Aug 2022
In reply to hovhtm:

I use one often and I thought it would be uncomfortable with it being so stripped back, but it made me realise what an absolute con those big padded belts and back panels are. Now I’m on the lookout for a cheap FL40 or 45 because I like it so much. 

jay lafferty 18 Aug 2022
In reply to hovhtm:

Hi,

Been using the alpha fl for a few years now, it's surprising how comfortable the hip belt is. Have used both the 30 and 45 version fully loaded with climbing and bivi kit and never felt uncomfortable. The shoulder straps are very comfortable.

99ster 18 Aug 2022
In reply to jay lafferty:

> Hi,

> Been using the alpha fl for a few years now, it's surprising how comfortable the hip belt is. Have used both the 30 and 45 version fully loaded with climbing and bivi kit and never felt uncomfortable. The shoulder straps are very comfortable.

Ditto.

MJPeat 19 Aug 2022
In reply to hovhtm:

I used the FL 30 for a full week in Chamoix last week in a mix of climbing & Alpine stuff.

Got on really well with it, nice & hard wearing. Good storage for axes & crampons.

I had it loaded but like previous posts maybe only up to 10kg, was very comfy.

llanberis36 19 Aug 2022
In reply to hovhtm:

Hi

have this sack. Been great for uk cragging  in general, however after one week on Chamonix granite it has numerous small tears. Disappointed really, however hopefully of a favourable response from Arcteryx 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...