Laugavegur, Iceland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brian Pollock 09 Aug 2022

I visited Iceland for the first time in July with my wife to do the Laugavegur trail and various hills around it. Safe to say, the scenery was stunning.

I lugged my camera gear along and managed to take a few photos I'm pretty happy with which I've put into a gallery on my website. Link below for anyone interested.

https://www.brianpollockphotography.com/collections/laugavegur-iceland

I'd thoroughly recommend this trip for anyone looking for a less expensive holiday in Iceland - Reykjavík is extortionate. It's non-technical walking over moderate distances (10-15km per day depending on your schedule) between good camping spots. There are loads of hills and other interesting features to visit off trail and loads of scope to make up your own itinerary, which we did.

Compared to your average decent hill day in Scotland, most of this would be a breeze for UK hill walkers but the scenery is anything but trivial.

Apologies if this comes off as a shameless plug. Photography is a hobby for me and my website is a passion project. I've sold less prints than I have fingers and toes so feel free to have a look (or not). I won't be quitting my day job any time soon.     

tjdodd 09 Aug 2022
In reply to Brian Pollock:

Really nice set of photos that capture the landscape really well.

I agree with recommending this trip.  It is one of the top multi-day walks in the world for a reason - the landscape it stunning.  It may be popular but you can still get a feeling of isolation and the camping was never too busy when I did it a couple of years ago.  It is a relaxed pace and gives you plenty of time to explore (I went off for more wandering when I had set up camp each day).

Doug Hughes 09 Aug 2022

Some lovely photos here, Brian. It brought it all back. Not that I needed much reminding - we only came back from there a couple of weeks ago! It is indeed a fantastic walk amongst mind-blowing scenery, and relatively non-strenuous. You can stay in huts and even have your luggage transferred if you want to do it the easy way.

Robert Durran 09 Aug 2022

Beautiful, surreal photos.

I think that's POTW sorted for a few weeks🙂. 

Post edited at 18:10
OP Brian Pollock 09 Aug 2022
In reply to tjdodd:

That was my experience. It is generally busy but didn't feel crowded. We never saw anyone else on any of the off trail walks we did and if you were prepared to wild camp (outside the national park) I suspect you wouldn't see a sole for most of it.

In reply to Doug Hughes:

The luggage delivery jeeps blew my mind. That said, of you're not in a hurry and can do so, tent and food on your back is the way to go for the freedom it gives I think.

In reply to Robert Durran:

Cheers Robert.

Jamie Hageman 09 Aug 2022

Wow, lovely photos and a great trip there Brian.  I bought some Iceland maps a while ago.  I'll get there one day.

Fiona Reid 09 Aug 2022

Great pictures, thank you for sharing 😀

I simply loved the week we spent in Iceland in 2004. As a geophysicist seeing the geological stuff was pretty awesome.  Laki is well worth a look if you go back. A short amble up a wee hill (volcano) and you can see the fissures going 25km either direction.  

Nic 10 Aug 2022

Great photos, it brings it all back - we did the Ring Road plus a few diversions, including the Kjölur route in a camper van a few years ago (thankfully *after* the financial crash, so it was just expensive rather than being eye-watering...). If you have some very high res versions I would be interested in them as wall art for the wall TV?

mike123 10 Aug 2022
In reply to Brian Pollock: great pictures Brian . I lknow a chap who is a tour guide in Iceland mainly for Americans with deep pockets . I’ll pass the link on to him  and see if he will share it with them . 

Carless 10 Aug 2022

Fabulous set of photos!

OP Brian Pollock 10 Aug 2022
In reply to mike123:

Thanks Mike. Very kind of you.

Post edited at 13:31
 jethro kiernan 10 Aug 2022

Lovely photos!, hopefully get back to Iceland soon. So much to explore and see.

OP Brian Pollock 10 Aug 2022
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Thanks Jethro. I feel like we barely scratched the surface. Definitely hope to go back some day.

jethro kiernan 10 Aug 2022

If work and the impending crash don’t interfere might try for a week in Jan/Feb 

BusyLizzie 10 Aug 2022

Stunning pics.

ScraggyGoat 10 Aug 2022

Many thanks, takes me back. Agree that if you step away from the Lonely Planet ‘Bratpacker’ crew doing the just trail the side diversions are equally spectacular, but virtually empty. Some days we saw no one. Extending from Porsmork to the coast via the two vents that caused all the Flight Ash Crisis is well worth while, a high ridge with the interior one way, glaciers either side, lunar landscape at your feet and turn south the drop to the coastal plain and the shimmering sea. For us we also had the Northern lights.  We went late September, taking a bit of the risk with the weather, but wete fortunately rewarded.  For anyone considering it, don’t forget your crocs to help on the river crossings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...