MRS Dragonfly out of mothballs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 08 Aug 2022

Next week I'm going away with a few friends glamping, and I have not been under canvas for at least a decade. Saying all that I've just got my MSR Dragonfly out of the attic and wondering if I have a sturdy cooker or potential pressurised petrol bomb.

What advice would you give to help restore this conversation killing cooker, because it is so loud, back into life?

Jesse Nagel 08 Aug 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Replace all seals (or lubricate if they're not rotten yet, but I doubt this after a decade) and the pump cup and it should be good to go again. MSR has a great bunch of videos on maintenance on youtube, I'd advice to follow all of them since it's been so long since you used it. 

Worst case scenario the plastic on the pump will have worn/cracked and you'll have to replace it. The stove itself should still be bomber.

Post edited at 12:35
 TobyA 08 Aug 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

My Whisperlite is over 30 years old now and still works, the Dragonflies were only brought out 2 decades-ish ago, so I'm sure it's fine! Have ago outside on concrete and I bet it works fine.🤞

LastBoyScout 08 Aug 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Probably fine, but make sure you test it outside.

A good friend of mine bought an MSR on eBay (can't remember which model) and decided to test it in his kitchen. The seals had perished, it sprayed fuel all over the room and he had to call the fire brigade. Had some explaining to do when his housemates came home!

Reminds me - must find a new seal for my GoSystem stove.

OP The Lemming 08 Aug 2022
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Probably fine, but make sure you test it outside.

Can I not test inside my tent?

🤣

The warning signs were on the Fuel bottle where the O Ring had perished. I do have an MSR service kit from 18 years ago and the rubber seals look OK. Look OK...

Rather than have a petrol bomb on my hands, I've ordered another MSR service kit for the perishables.

I also found some old butane/propane bottles in the attic still full of fuel.

Out of curiosity, should or could I service my MSR Pocket Rocket which is about the same age as the Dragonfly?

I did have play, outside, and the Pocket Rocket roared into action instantly. I could not smell any leaking fuel though I did not get my nose too close in case of instant death from the fumes.

Thanks everybody for your help.

I'm so glad that I invested in a solid piece of kit all those years ago.

Post edited at 13:42
 DH3631 08 Aug 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Definitely test outside, but chances are it will be fine, even if you need to clean the jet etc.

If it doesn't run at first, and you decide to take the pump apart to clean, take care with the on/off switch on the dragonfly pump. If it is unscrewed from the body of the pump, it should be screwed back in very carefully. It is quite easy to overtighten it and strip the (plastic) thread in the pump body. It is possible to  obtain most other parts separately, but as far as I know not the pump body, so a whole new pump will be required .

On a more encouraging note, I was recently given an old MSR X-GK stove which had been in someone's shed for years. From some research it seems to be around 30 years old, though may only have been used a few times. Given the age I was doubtful it would work without some replacement parts, but after pricking the jet and putting it together it ran pretty much first time. Then took it away on a weekend and had no problems at all. It even has a handy flint striker ignition thing which newer models don't, so no need to take matches!

OP The Lemming 08 Aug 2022
In reply to DH3631:

MSR kit is basically bombproof.

Sadly the Dragonfly is not a quiet bit of kit by any stretch of the imagination.🤣

MeMeMe 08 Aug 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

This thread prompted me to do some maintenance on my 20 year old dragonfly having never done any in the last 20 years as it's always worked fine. Not only that but I was not previously aware that you're supposed to shake the thing to clear the jet and I've also realised I've been burning diesel with the wrong nozzle for the majority of that time!

Might treat it to some cleaner burning fuel next time I need some!

LastBoyScout 08 Aug 2022
In reply to MeMeMe:

> This thread prompted me to do some maintenance on my 20 year old dragonfly having never done any in the last 20 years as it's always worked fine. Not only that but I was not previously aware that you're supposed to shake the thing to clear the jet and I've also realised I've been burning diesel with the wrong nozzle for the majority of that time!

Not all MSR stoves have the shaker jet. It'll still burn with the wrong jet, but just not as well as with the right jet.

> Might treat it to some cleaner burning fuel next time I need some!

Coleman fuel or try Aspen 4 from your local garden centre.

wilkie14c 08 Aug 2022
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Seconded Aspen 4. Run a 553 and a whisperlite on it, works out quarter the price of coleman fuel. Very clean burning and not as sooty if you prime with the same fuel, unlike unleaded. Ran both on unleaded for quite a while and both ran fine, primed with meths

Toerag 08 Aug 2022
In reply to DH3631:

>  It is possible to  obtain most other parts separately, but as far as I know not the pump body, so a whole new pump will be required .

People also need to be aware that the design of the pump has been changed over the years too. I learnt that when I snapped the plunger off mine when it was in the side pocket of a rucksac that fell over. So, if you have an old pump I might have some parts for it like the on-off valve.

gethin_allen 09 Aug 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Nothing to really service on a pocket rocket.

norrisdan71 09 Aug 2022
In reply to Jesse Nagel:

Agreed, check the plastic pump. I had one fail on me with alarming outcomes on a Spanish campsite. TBH I'd buy a new one for a second hand stove and carry a spare. The Primus equivalents are much better.

I've run Primus omni fuel stoves with pre-wipe degreaser from Tetrosyl. Cheaper than coleman fuel.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...