NEW ROUTE CARD: Dartmoor North to South

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The most extensive upland area in southern England, Dartmoor is a unique and very special place, an island of wildness rising from the rolling Devon countryside. Wooded valleys and picturesque villages fringe the edges, but it's in the austere moorland at its heart, amid the empty miles of tussock grass and lurking mires, that hillwalkers and runners will find their challenge. Meeting this uncompromising landscape on its own terms, a traverse of the entire moor from end to end is one of the great walks of Britain. With a right to wild camp in much of the National Park, and any number of isolated spots to do it in, the route can easily be stretched over two days; but given sufficient daylight, decent weather, and a bit of a following wind, it's a fantastic one-day adventure. Note: This precise route is only possible when live firing is not taking place on the Okehampton Range. For scheduled firing times see www.access.mod.uk or call 0800 458 4868

29.20 miles, 47 km, 1,084m ascent, 11 – 13 hours. Okehampton

Read more

Cheese Monkey 29 Jul 2022
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Suggesting anyone attempts to cross Fox Tor Mires on the "path" is sadistic, but also a quintessential worthwhile Dartmoor experience

In reply to Cheese Monkey:

I tried to ad lib across and that lasted a couple of minutes before I saw sense. When found it, the path turned out to be a fantastic totally dry route, but almost invisible til you're on it. It was a bit like something out of Sherlock Holmes

Cheese Monkey 29 Jul 2022
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I first naively tried it in winter. I would imagine this summer would be relatively straightforward. By compaison...

Sean Kelly 30 Jul 2022
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

And in wet winter conditions it really is a challenge, even trying your best to bypass it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...