REVIEW: Highland Scrambles North

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 18 Jul 2022

The SMC's new volume covering the wild northwest is the most comprehensive and up-to-date scrambling guidebook yet produced to any Scottish mountain area, says Dan Bailey, and the best-looking too.

Read more

ebdon 18 Jul 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Possibly a stupid question.... are all the routes in here on the rockfax app? I'm never quite sure what the deal is with SMC guides on rockfax.

robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 18 Jul 2022
In reply to ebdon:

There are 150 selected scrambles from the whole of Scotland in the Rockfax app, so not everything in this book is in the app. 

ebdon 18 Jul 2022
In reply to robertmichaellovell:

Thanks, I could never quite work out what was in the app, having the various mountains listed alphabetically doesn't help! I was tempted to buy the book regardless just for a decent overview map.

Ramon Marin 19 Jul 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Not sure about the content, but the cover has to be one of the most beautiful out there

robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 20 Jul 2022
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Thanks! A lot of work has gone into the new design system for the climbers' and scramblers' guides over the last couple of years, it's great to see it in the real. The painting itself is phenomenal – it's 120cm by 100cm... when I was around at Christopher's (the artist) house recently I spent about 10 minutes just looking at the detail in a patch of grass! Prints of various sizes are available on the Scottish Mountaineering Press site, just in case anyone is interested.

Ramon Marin 20 Jul 2022
In reply to robertmichaellovell:

Yes he's incredible, the Triple Buttress paint is unreal (I'll hope you'll be using that one at some point), he's so talented. It's so good when art works in a way that's better than photography in a guidebook, it's pretty rare. I really shows how cunning the publisher is (you!) to spot this opportunity and make it work in set of cover, because the Winter Climbing guide is another example. However, as designer, I can only congratulate whoever picked Founders Grotesk as a font because that's the glue that holds it together, they tie it together with the Guy's sea-cliff book and the Munros, with exquisite page layouts. It really shows how design can elevate a product. So well done, I wish I'd designed them. 

robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 20 Jul 2022
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Thanks (again) – I shared this with Gino and he said to pass on his humble thanks

Edit: Chris asked me to pass on his humble thanks too!

Post edited at 10:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...