Lightweight Waterproofs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alastairmac 02 Jul 2022

In the market for a new lightweight waterproof for running in the hills/trails. Any thoughts/recommendations appreciated? I'm looking at the OMM Halo and the Rap Phantom pull on?

HomerTheFat 03 Jul 2022
In reply to alastairmac:

Both fab, worth also looking at Alpkit and Inov8, depending on budget. Though the Phantom is astonishingly light

dread-i 03 Jul 2022
In reply to alastairmac:

I have the Montane podium pull on. Packs down to the size of a tennis ball and works pretty well in wind and light rain. Not been out in a downpour with it. I pair that with Decathlon kalenji running waterproof trousers. These pack down into their own pocket and work ok. Both have taped seams, so will pass a fra kit check.

Tom Briggs 03 Jul 2022
In reply to alastairmac:

Mountain Equipment now do a 200gms running shell in Gore Tex Active (called the Firefly). Given the quality/fit of their Scottish winter and Alpine shells it’ll be worth checking out.

Dark-Cloud 03 Jul 2022
In reply to Tom Briggs:

The ME looks a nice jacket, i looked at one the other day but i can never figure out why they put pockets on jackets designed for running jackets, all they do is add weight and bulk when packing down the Montane Minimus stretch looks good but 2 hand pockets means its a no from me straight away.

To the OP, you might want to consider the ME Ronhill Shakedry, they seem pretty popular if a little spendy.

Tom Briggs 03 Jul 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Agreed, those small chest pockets are pretty pointless. No-one wants a phone bouncing around up there. I have an Pertex Montane smock with the big pocket across the front and actually that's quite useful for sticking gloves/hat into when you immediately start overheating having put the smock on

Run_Ross_Run 03 Jul 2022
In reply to Tom Briggs:

> Mountain Equipment now do a 200gms running shell in Gore Tex Active (called the Firefly). 

Tried one on recently in a shop and was seriously impressed with the fit and look of it. Only reason that I didn't get it was a question over durability as I would want to use it with a pack. 

I'll do some more research as it's definitely a contender for me. 

climber34neil 04 Jul 2022
In reply to alastairmac:

Outdoor research helium ii does it for me, 

dread-i 04 Jul 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

>the Montane Minimus stretch looks good but 2 hand pockets means its a no from me straight away.

I had a minimus stretch ultra. I did a 100k race in it with a race vest on. The inner waterproof membrane wore away under the arms and a little on the back where the pack rubbed. I'm not sure if any jacket would survive similar conditions, but I was able to get a refund. Other than that, a good jacket. I used the pockets for gloves, but the jacket packs into a pocket, so you don't need a stuff sack.

steveriley 04 Jul 2022
In reply to alastairmac:

Inov-8 Stormshell here. Very light and packable, non rustly. Better for races/contingency, rather than a full on mountain days. Wets out in persistent rain which something more shelly/rustly might not. Also the long body gives me a weird pointy pot belly if not wearing a sac/bumbag

Inthebag 04 Jul 2022
In reply to alastairmac:

I've a ME Ronhill shakedry which i'm really impressed with - nice and light, good fit the material is like witchcraft as it simpoly never gets close to wetting out and so stays as breathable as any jacket can be for running, minor critcism is that the hood has no beck - buy a cap to keep the rain of your face - no idea on durability as I've only had it a year and it does feel fragile - but plenty of miles with a pack on and no signs of wear so far - wore it for about 30 % of the Spine Challenger 2 weeks ago and perfect for that - although  mostly just keeping the wind off - no real rain 

In reply to alastairmac:

If running / working hard then often just a windproof with a DWR treatment does the job and is far more breathable than any waterproof. I’m someone who doesn’t wear waterproofs during high exertion exercise, saving them for walking etc.

Post edited at 13:45
 Nic Barber 04 Jul 2022
In reply to alastairmac:

I've got an OMM Halo and it's very good, keeps the warmth in well for the weight. Not worn it massive amounts - tends to be in my bumbag as mandatory kit - if it's proper crapout weather I'll take my goretex jacket instead.

galpinos 04 Jul 2022
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

I have the OG Firefly smock, still going strong. Front pocket is coming of and it has a fair bit of chain oil on it I can't shift but no holes, no seams have untaped, no delamination and the shoulders are still in nick, though the DWR o them is long gone! Keen for the new version, but only due to GAS, not necessity.

elliot.baker 06 Jul 2022
In reply to alastairmac:

I started a similar thread to this a couple months back for a jacket to run the Welsh 3000s, I ended up getting the ME Firefly because I thought it was a good balance of being a bit more technical than the phantoms etc but also still very light. Ran in the rain for three hours in it recently and it was great! I can recommend it. Price was a bit eye watering but I’ve not bought a jacket for about 8-10 years!! 

compost 07 Jul 2022
In reply to alastairmac:

I have one of these https://www.decathlon.com/products/mens-trail-running-waterproof-jacket-164...?

It's remarkably good for the price and I'd definitely recommend it over my previous Montane thing.

My only slight gripe is that the hood doesn't fold away so when it's not needed can be a bit of a sail.

MattL80 07 Jul 2022
In reply to dread-i:

> >the Montane Minimus stretch looks good but 2 hand pockets means its a no from me straight away.

>  I had a minimus stretch ultra. I did a 100k race in it with a race vest on. The inner waterproof membrane wore away under the arms and a little on the back where the pack rubbed. I'm not sure if any jacket would survive similar conditions, but I was able to get a refund. Other than that, a good jacket. I used the pockets for gloves, but the jacket packs into a pocket, so you don't need a stuff sack.

I've just bought one of those for a 100k in a couple of weeks. I had seen the odd review mentioning pack rub being a problem (delamination etc.) but left it too late to be picky as couldn't find many (any?) alternatives in the correct size (loads of decent looking jackets, always sold out in my size!). So I've taken the risk... time will tell...

DaveHK 07 Jul 2022
In reply to alastairmac:

I've got a Halo and I'd say it's more of an emergency waterproof than something for regular use. Great for race kit check and as a just in case jacket but lack of breathability, limited features and fragility limit it for regular use.

angry pirate 07 Jul 2022
In reply to alastairmac:

A mate has the Mountain Equipment Shakedry jacket from mountain running and has been out in some genuinely foul weather in it. He is really impressed with it and has used / abused it quite a bit, recently on the Spine race. (I think it was a collaboration with Ron Hill)

I have an Alpkit Gravitas which is really light and has a great hood but is otherwise not that good The fabric wets out almost instantly leading to lots of condensation build-up inside - I have soaked a midlayer like I never have before in a breathable waterproof. Alpkit originally told me this was due to the weight of the fabric before telling me to reproof it. I have done this but it is still very underwhelming in anything above a shower.

Shivering next to my mate bone-dry in his Shakedry jacket made me decide where my money will be spent next time!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...