Alps Bivvy Bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Solaris 14 Jun 2022

Checked my 30 year old Wild Country Titan bag earlier today and, up against the sunlight, it's looking a bit like the Titanic after it hit the iceberg.

So I need a new one for the alps: waterproof, resistant to Chamonix granite, low condensation, and light-weight. Have been thinking of investing in an Outdoor Research Helium bivvy (and using it without the hoop). Anyone any comments on it, or other recommendations? Cheers.

Post edited at 19:55
 Mark Haward 16 Jun 2022
In reply to Solaris:

I've not tried it but would the Alpkit Kloke suit? I've used the Hunka in the past which worked for me. Happy hunting...

jezzah 16 Jun 2022
In reply to Solaris:

I have a variety of bags for the alps. My goto favourite is the RAB Alpine bivi. Does what it's supposed to do in the Alps!

Thanks

Jeremy

broken spectre 16 Jun 2022
In reply to Solaris:

Before splashing the cash, what's peoples views on 2nd hand ex-forces gortex bivvies?

You can pick them up cheap as chips (I have one but have only used in the summer in the UK)

dread-i 16 Jun 2022
In reply to broken spectre:

>.. what's peoples views on 2nd hand ex-forces gortex bivvies?

I have one as well. Bombproof but heavy and bulky. My Alpkit Hunka Xl is ~500g the ex-forces one is ~900g. Bulk is a bigger factor for me.

a crap climber 16 Jun 2022

Pros: very hard wearing (made to be squaddie proof). Can be obtained cheaply.

Cons: heavy and bulky. They're very big, probably bigger than most people need depending if you're a mat inside or mat outside person, as they're sized to accommodate people on the larger size wearing body armour plus ammo pouches and whatnot. Also only a drawstring closure but for alpine use that's probably not a problem as you won't likely be using it in really bad weather 

VictorM 16 Jun 2022

I like ‘em for short wild camping trips when I don’t expect too much rain and don’t want the hassle of cleaning and drying a tent but for alpine use they’re simply too bulky IMHO. 

OP Solaris 17 Jun 2022
In reply to jezzah:

Thanks, Jeremy, and everyone else.

I'd wondered about the Rab. It's a bit more expensive than the OR but it is about the same weight once the pole of the OR is dropped, and it is wider, so easier to stow boots etc. inside. Decisions, decisions!

CantClimbTom 18 Jun 2022
In reply to Solaris:

Been quietly reading this thread with great interest as need a new bivi bag. After some deliberation I've just ordered the Rab alpine bivi from Alpkit. Fingers crossed...

CantClimbTom 08 Jul 2022
In reply to Solaris:

Feedback on the Rab alpine Bivi bag, slept out last Sat night in wind and blowing drizzle, about 5C (>1,000m in UK) absolutely horrible. After some sustained rain a puddle developed around my feet a couple of inches deep outside the bag, some dampness did get inside after having feet in water for a few hours but all in all, it performed as well as I could expect. In colder dryer conditions (like Alps) it'd be perfect. Did what it said on the tin. Good kit. Thumbs up

Post edited at 21:17
 rgold 09 Jul 2022
In reply to Solaris:

US-centric and not specifically alpine-oriented, but still perhaps a useful review?  https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-bivy-sack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...