Waterproof running mitts / mittens for Welsh 3000s....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 08 Jun 2022

Running the welsh 3000s in July, want some lightweight but trustworthy waterproof mittens, probably to go on top of some existing thin running gloves I have - but I'm not ruling out any of these 2 in 1 glove/mitten combos either.

A few weeks ago went to do some final reccy walks, it was 17 degrees and light showers in the valley at the campsite (Gwern Gof Uchaf). Weather forecast for the rain to stop and 1mm of rain that day... up we go, I left my heavy weight winter waterproof mittens in the car... shortly after setting off rain starts... "I'm sure it's just a shower" .... 5 hours of solid rain and gale force winds later (it said wind chill was about 2 degrees I think), I literally could not use my hands for anything. I only had those thin running gloves. LESSON LEARNED! 

All it made me think was how those polar explorers must have to look after their hands so much, literally the most important thing. For me it was very unpleasant but also laugh-worthy that my mate had to open my sausage roll for me! When we were back down in the valley it was fine and hands warmed up and were a bit tingly for a while.

I've seen the RP raid light but one review says they ain't waterproof, the Inov-8 2 in 1s, OMM Kamleika....

Anyone got any experience with any of these? I'm half tempted to take a couple of nappy sacks for back up 😂, I don't mind sweaty hands if I can still use them!

Andy Hardy 08 Jun 2022
In reply to elliot.baker:

Buffalo mitts are not waterproof, but will keep your hands warm, are cheap and are light.

cathsullivan 08 Jun 2022

Extremeties Tuff Bags would possibly do what you're looking for. I have had two pairs of the older version. I ended up seconding a route on Skye in my first pair which made them no longer wateproof (though suprisingly not so destroyed that I had to actually bin them). The second pair I hardly wear to be honest, so they are still intact. The ones I have are great for keeping your gloves dry and hands warm in extreme conditions but they are, obviously, not very dextrous. Mine are also not very hard wearing, but maybe the newer versions are more so as they seem to have the palm reinforced a bit. They are not cheap either.
https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/tuff-bags-gore-tex-paclite-overmitts/

I recently got some of the 2 in 1 gloves with an attached windproof bit (mine are ron hill https://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/buy/ron-hill-wind-block-flip-glove_8513.h...) but they're not waterproof. I looked at some that had a waterproof overmit but decided that they overmit was too bulky and wasn't integral to the glove, so I'd end up storing it in my pack and then never use it (replicating my Tuff Bags really, which would be pointless). I have found having the little windproof mit part actually attached to the thin gloves to be brilliant in winter. The mit part is not so bulky that you really notice it when tucked away and I do actually use it when my fingers are getting cold because I don't have to stop to deploy it. You also don't have to worry about it blowing away when you take it off for a moment to do something fiddly. And a windproof layer over my fingers makes a massive difference to how cold my hands get. I think, to some extent, wet is OK if you can protect from the wind. I am lucky though in not really suffering too badly with cold hands compared to some people.

OP elliot.baker 08 Jun 2022
In reply to cathsullivan:

Thank you - I've seen those Ronhill ones but dismissed them as not waterproof (I'll reconsider now!). Tbh after the experience the other day (I hate having cold hands...) I might be half tempted to take two pairs (i.e. the RonHills and something waterproof).

plyometrics 08 Jun 2022

I’ve got a pair of these and they’re good: https://www.inov-8.com/all-terrain-pro-running-mitt?colours=616

Also have a bigger pair of these which fit over warm mitts in the winter: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/adult-waterproof-over-gloves-black/_/R-p-1585...

The inov8 ones will be perfect for what you need them for.  

SouthernSteve 08 Jun 2022

Salomon do some very light over mitts which I have used for a while. https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/bonatti-wp-mitten-u-19.html...

They are not completely waterproof, but do a good job

However, my best buy for warm hands has been some thin fingerless mitts (not gloves) with a long wrist which I just push up onto my wrists when too hot and pull back down when not - they were £9.

Tom Briggs 08 Jun 2022

Decathlon do a really lightweight Forclaz waterproof mitt for £20.

dread-i 08 Jun 2022

I've got some of the runners ones, where you can pull a mit over the fingers. I find these are pretty good most of the time. I dont think many things would keep you dry in 5h of running and rain, though. Petrol stations are a handy source of ultra light weight fully waterproof gloves. I have some in my emergency kit. Not a replacement for a real glove, but can be worn underneath a wet glove. They double up for first aid gloves as well.

SFM 08 Jun 2022
In reply to plyometrics:

I’ve found the lack of a hand/wrist strap makes them feel a bit loose. That said I’ve not yet lost one.

to the OP perhaps these are a good alternative 

https://www.kongrunning.com/clothing-accessories/gloves-mitts/raidlight-mp-...

Ridge 08 Jun 2022

> Thank you - I've seen those Ronhill ones but dismissed them as not waterproof (I'll reconsider now!). Tbh after the experience the other day (I hate having cold hands...) I might be half tempted to take two pairs (i.e. the RonHills and something waterproof).

I have the la sportiva version of those (looks to be a lighter version of the RonHills) and although the overmit works well, your thumbs don't half get cold if it turns wet and cold!

Michael Hood 08 Jun 2022
In reply to thread:

With waterproof gloves, do your hands not get wet from sweat after a while anyway?

In which case, warmth and windproof are important so that wet doesn't become cold & wet.

greg_may_ 08 Jun 2022

I've a set of the BD combo mits that have been great. But for when it looks utterly ming, I have a pair of OMM Kamalika over mitts. They're fine, keep the water and rain out as well as expected, but more importantly they do keep my hands warm and wet. 

maybe_si 08 Jun 2022

Buffalo mitts every time.  I have some thin OR liners for most things, but as soon as it gets cold I whip them off and rock the Buffalo Mitts.  Light, warm, waterproofish, still warm when wet - perfect!

TobyA 09 Jun 2022
In reply to plyometrics:

> Also have a bigger pair of these which fit over warm mitts in the winter: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/adult-waterproof-over-gloves-black/_/R-p-1585...

I've got a pair of those - very very light and compact. Not very expensive. Haven't used them really, just carried them for emergencies or truly foul weather which I haven't experienced yet!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...