Buying good quality down by the gram

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom F Harding 25 May 2022

Does anyone know of a source of good quality down that can be bought loose? Preferably around 800 fill power and from a reasonably "ethical" source?

I would like to top up a sleeping bag that's showing its age and I have always wanted to be a little warmer. I only need around 200g. 

Thanks

CantClimbTom 26 May 2022
In reply to Tom F Harding:

You might have to use the fallback option of looking in charity shops until you see a down jacket

VictorM 26 May 2022

I don't know about your skills with a sewing machine but opening up sleeping bags and then sealing them again properly is a bit of a nightmare so I would be inclined to look for a good repair service capable of this rather than doing it yourself. 

The supply chains for down and wool are a bit of an ethical nightmare in that they are very opaque with lots of middlemen so if you're dead set on ethical down buying a second-hand down jacket might actually be a very good option. 

robert-hutton 26 May 2022
In reply to VictorM:

I did my old sleeping bag as OP wants, its a simple job just shake the old down down a baffle, open and stuff, i put my new down in cardboard tubes as if difficult to handle, restitch.

I got an old jacket from UKC.

BruceM 26 May 2022

And I sent mine off to a Pro to wash and add down.  He said that after washing it does not need extra down.  I phoned and insisted I wanted new down and would pay the £60 or whatever he charges.  But he insisted none was needed and I would be happy with just a wash.

Got it back, and it was almost as limp as before.  He must work for Rab, as I didn't use it and ended up buying a new bag.  Waste of money posting and washing.

At the time I read that it can be a nightmare to fill and stitch, but you have nothing to lose.  I would try it myself now.

ScraggyGoat 26 May 2022
In reply to BruceM:

I’ve sent my bag to a pro company for washing and each time it bounced back.  Sent a very old one to a no pro firm for a wash and they destroyed it.  Used the down to make cushions, used plastic bags to try and transfer the down, but lots escaped round the room.

on the other hand I sent another bag to Rab which had a manufacturing fault, they denied it and just washed the bag hoping I would be happy. Needless to say I will never buy from Rab now.

Post edited at 11:17
 johnlc 26 May 2022

From memory, it is definitely possible to buy good quality down from t'internet.  Can't recall any assurances regarding the ethical background of it though.

Just as an idea, I bought a 5 gramme bag of down recently in order to repair a jacket.  The instructions advised making a small cut with a scalpel, stuffing the down in with the tweezers that they supplied and then putting on a permanent adhesive patch.  It might be worth your while to do this, if it saves you from deconstructing the sleeping bag in order to insert the down.

random_watcher 26 May 2022

Scottish Mountain Gear offer a down refilling service, maybe they would also be happy just to supply you with the down.

https://www.scottishmountaingear.com/down-services/refilling

OP Tom F Harding 27 May 2022

Thanks for all the replies.

I was going to scalpel a small hole, sew and then seam seal. A fiddly job but not too bad. I would have to unpick the zip seam to get to the end of a baffles. 

I've found 'down' on ebay etc but it's very low quality and probably from awful sources.

I can understand manufacturers being protective of their supply chain. You have to hope that the 'ethical down' branding has involved them doing comprehensive checks along the way. 

Harvesting from second hand clothing may be the way to go.

Post edited at 01:24

> Harvesting from second hand clothing may be the way to go.

Or a pillow, or duvet. 

VictorM 27 May 2022

> I can understand manufacturers being protective of their supply chain. You have to hope that the 'ethical down' branding has involved them doing comprehensive checks along the way. 

It's so complicated that some brands have just set up their own supply chains as that seems to be the only way to 100% guarantee no forced feeding or live plucking. Wool is largely the same, especially with regards to mulesing of Merino sheep. 

montyjohn 27 May 2022
In reply to VictorM:

> I don't know about your skills with a sewing machine but opening up sleeping bags and then sealing them again properly is a bit of a nightmare

This might sound like a bodge, but for something like a sleeping back I would be quite happy making a small hole, using a tube to stuff more in, and then seal with a glued patch.

It won't be pretty, but it's a sleeping bag at the end of the day.

Alkis 27 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

Doesn't the patch fail when the bag is stuffed in a compression sack?

montyjohn 27 May 2022
In reply to Alkis:

> Doesn't the patch fail when the bag is stuffed in a compression sack?

Couldn't say, but I would have more faith in it than my sewing skills.

VictorM 27 May 2022
In reply to Alkis:

Some special patches are quite hardwearing. I’ve had a sleeping bag damaged by a rock once, the patch that’s currently on the hole had held up against quite a bit of abuse. 

Tenacious Tape or similar stuff is great for small repairs that don’t need to look great. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...