Approach shoe resole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RichardN 03 May 2022

I have some Five Ten Tennies which I am planning to resole at Cheshire Shoe repairs. 

The tennies have C4 rubber on them which is great on rock. 

Chesire shoe don't offer C4, they offer the following:

Vibram Zegama Grip Soles Black/Red/Lime Green

Vibram Friction Approach Soles

Vibram New Boulder Idrogrip rubber Full Resole

Davos Grip Sole

Svig Running sole (available in black, white, blue and orange)

All at the same price, does anyone know how any of these stack up against C4? Or does anyone own approach shoes that have one of these rubbers on. 

Thanks!

BruceM 03 May 2022
In reply to RichardN:

I've just sent mine in for Vibram Idrogrip Rubber.  Because that is the closest to the original 5.10 sticky dots.  The other sole units are more for running shoe and TX4 style approach shoes -- with better mud grip and the like.

My Tennies are the original with a big wide foot print, so those other preshaped sole units probably won't fit.  But also, I only use them for scrambling/climbing so don't need the tred-like lugs of some of the other soles.

Vibram sticky rubber is usually pretty good, so I think it will be a fine replacement.  But if you wait some months I might know for sure

Climber climb 10 May 2022
In reply to RichardN:I think the idrogrip is what was used on the old la sportiva Ganda approach shoes which I found gave as good as grip as the dotty stealth, to the point of when mine wear out I’ll have them resoled in it too

BruceM 17 May 2022
In reply to RichardN:

Received my Tennies back last week.  Was hoping to have used them this weekend to report back, but it didn't happen. 

However Cheshire did a great job.  Looks great!

The Vibram idrogrip comes up all shiny unlike the original C4.  That will probably wear off. 

Like the original 5.10 sticky dots, the depth of the Vibram sticky dots is pretty shallow.  They have a little dimple in them as well.  Maybe that helps suction?  The shallow dots are fine for me as I use them only on rock (Skye Ridge etc.).  But they certainly won't have any more mud traction than the originals.

Walking around on the kitchen floor you get that comforting "stick stick" sound and sensation as the sticky rubber clings on to the lino.  So I think they'll be awesome as far as grip goes.

I'm certainly pretty pleased with the results.

In reply to BruceM:

I’m thinking of getting my La Sportiva Boulder X Mids resoled by Cheshire. They’ve been great boots and there’s plenty of life left in them apart from the soles. The soles started out life with rounded lumps on the forefoot but once they became somewhat worn they became really slippery on grass and there’s a sudden transition from Spider-Man to Norman Wisdom as I step onto grassy slopes. I think I might try their Vibram Friction Approach Soles to see if they wear a bit longer and with less of a Norman Wisdom effect, presumably at the expense of some stickiness. 

BruceM 17 May 2022
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

> I’m thinking of getting my La Sportiva Boulder X Mids resoled by Cheshire..I think I might try their Vibram Friction Approach Soles to see if they wear a bit longer and with less of a Norman Wisdom effect, presumably at the expense of some stickiness. 

I think that resole type would be best for the boulder.  Better than dots for that type of shoe.  As long as the new sole unit is wide enough. 

Once I asked to resole some Mammut boots with a LS Trango sole unit, but the resoler said the Trango units were too narrow for my sized boots, so I had to go with a generic sole.

Good luck.

In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

I got my La Sportiva Boulder X mids back today, just less than two weeks after I posted them to Cheshire. I’m very happy with the work and it looks like there should be plenty of life left in my boots now. 
A slightly unusual customer experience in that I did a bank transfer and sent the boots off with a completed form, and heard nothing back at all until the resoled boots just turned up in the post. A refreshing change from relentless feedback (“yay we’ve received your order” etc). 

BruceM 06 Jun 2022
In reply to RichardN:

A further follow-up on the resole by Cheshire with Vibram New Boulder Idrogrip.

Have already said above they did a great job...

...finally got to try my resoled Tennies out on Tower Ridge and Castle Ridge this weekend.  Awesome grip.

Super sticky.  Lower down on the ridge the soles were so sticky they were pulling up gravel and small rocks with each footstep, so that I had to check I wasn't stepping on pebbles on the slabs.  I think that settled down as they wore in.

That Vibram stuff is at least as good but probably better than 5.10 stuff.

Highly recommend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...