Hiring high altitude boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Charlieq7076 14 Apr 2022

Hi all

I am in the process of putting together a trip to Argentina including climbing Aconcagua.

Does anyone have experience renting high altitude boots (Sadly it doesn’t look like my scarpa phantom techs will quite cut it). 

I am trying to gauge how much rental will cost so can budet it into my trip cost (or justify buying something 😜).

Would love to learn from any of your past experiences. 

thanks

charles 

tjdodd 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Charlieq7076:

Given how tough it will be in general I think having well fitting boots that you have got used to is important.  When you are struggling with altitude the last thing you need is painful boots as well.

Try and get hold of second hand boots that you can then get used to and probably sell on for little loss.  My experience of selling high altitude boots is the second hand price is well below new price and likely to drop much further after a single trip in them.

Pedro50 15 Apr 2022

I've got some Scarpa Vegas size 45 from memory, available for the price of carriage if interested. They're in reasonable nick.

Mike-W-99 15 Apr 2022

Saw these a while ago, seem like a good deal if they fitted and you fancied a new pair.

https://www.scarpa.co.uk/clearance-footwear/phantom-8000-2019/

(I know nothing about high altitude stuff mind you)

OP Charlieq7076 15 Apr 2022

Yeah your point about wanting to have something/my feet broken in is what scares me most about hiring.

I never thought about second hand. What a good point. 

dave_strachan 15 Apr 2022

I have some size 43 scarpa 6000m boots - one of the zips needs some work, but would do aconcagua and will negotiate a sensible price! PM if interested

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...