Fastest inflating/deflating sleeping mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 11 Apr 2022

I'm going to be doing a long distance event next month that will involve sleeping in a different place each night and a quick setup/pack.

Self-inflating mats will be too slow to re-pack* and my very lightweight bikepacking mat inflates in seconds, but seems to take a long time to deflate, although a bit of practice might solve that.

Any suggestions - at the moment, I think I'm just going to take a bog standard Karrimat.

Weight not really a problem, but smaller pack size would be beneficial

* Might get away with my mid-length one.

In reply to LastBoyScout:

One with a big valve, or multiple valves.

I have a couple of synthetic insulated inflatables. I sometimes wish they had a valve at each end, so I could pump warm air through to dry them out (from breath moisture).

NaCl 12 Apr 2022

I doubt there's much in it at the moment mate. There all inflating pretty bloody quickly.

I'll get my coat :-/

oldie 12 Apr 2022
In reply to LastBoyScout

My hip length thermarest neoair xlite is compact, lighteasy and quick to inflate by mouth. I pack it in a coke bottle with the top cut off for convenience and protection. If its going to be used directly on stony ground  I still  use my small, indestructible 50 year old karrimat.

Andy Johnson 12 Apr 2022

> Self-inflating mats will be too slow to re-pack

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here. Just how fast do you need?

Just open the valve, quickly roll the mat up to get most of the air out, close the valve to prevent re-inflation, shake the mat out and fold it to its pack size, then finally tightly roll it - opening the valve when its nearly fully-rolled and then closing it again when you've expelled all the air. Takes about a minute tops.

Post edited at 11:23
 Tintin 18 Apr 2022

If you find it a problem and weight, as you say, isn't an issue get a small rechargable pump that deflates as well as inflates. I've seen others use them for down filled mats to prevent moisture entering the mat. 

Trangia 18 Apr 2022

Have you tried a 3/4 length closed cell karrimat? Very light, and quick to roll up into a compact roll. I used to use one regularly for mountain bivis, including when doing the Cuillin Ridge, The other advantage is that there is no risk of puncture.

dominic o 18 Apr 2022

If you'd asked "slowest inflating / fastest deflating" I'd have suggested those balloon mats that were briefly fashionable a few years ago. Hilarious watching my mate struggle with fiddly party balloons and then listening to them pop one by one during the night. He wasn't alone - the OMM overnight camp was a constant cacophony of bursting balloons followed by loud expletives! I just enjoyed the performance from my scrap of foam mat (which I still think is state of the art)!

Post edited at 10:51
 bruxist 18 Apr 2022

The thing isn't the mat itself, but what you use to inflate it. I've dumped the pump that came with my Exped mat and replaced it with a schnozzel pumpbag (which doubles up as a drybag to carry it in): inflation now takes 15-20 secs. As for deflation if I remove the plug first when packing and sit on it to put everything else away, it's fully deflated by the time I'm ready to roll it. 

tehmarks 18 Apr 2022

Exped mats are very quick to inflate (with the schnozzle as mentioned), and very quick to deflate. My last one also had the distinct advantage of being the only mat I've owned that easily fits into its stuff sack without having to fold it meticulously or roll it meticulously. I reckon the biggest faff with any mat is trying to get it back into its stuff sack, so that's a big advantage in my opinion.

But for ultimate convenience in UK non-winter conditions, a foam roll mat wins every time.

angry pirate 18 Apr 2022

My Klymit mat deflates and packs away pretty sharpish: just fold it into three and roll. The slightly oversized storage bag helps too.

Welsh Kate 18 Apr 2022

I agree with the others about the Exped mats. Dead easy to pump up with a pump sack / bag for it, and you pull the wee valve cover out and the mat deflates instantly. I do roll it up to push the air out before doing my packing-up roll, but it's probably not necessary. It's also really comfortable!

jimtitt 19 Apr 2022

I've a couple that automatically deflate before I wake up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...