Skye - Cragging with groups

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Neil Pratt 03 Apr 2022

I'm heading up to Skye with a group later in the month who have expressed an interest in doing some climbing as part of their activities. It's not an area I know that well from that perspective, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

Ideally, it'd be single pitch, good anchors at the top, some reasonable VD - HS/VS grade climbs, reasonable access from road, and south of Portree if possible.

Andy Clarke 03 Apr 2022
In reply to Neil Pratt:

> Ideally, it'd be single pitch, good anchors at the top, some reasonable VD - HS/VS grade climbs, reasonable access from road, and south of Portree if possible.

The Sonomara area at  Neist would be ideal: single pitch, decent anchors, plenty of routes in your grade range and about five minutes walk from the car park. There's just one problem: it's way out on the West coast, a beautiful location but a fair drive. Worth looking at a map to see if it works for you though, as it's about the only thing that comes close. I've been a few times with novices and occasional climbers when I used to go on an annual Austrian AC trip, and it's always proved popular.

kwoods 03 Apr 2022
In reply to Neil Pratt:

The White Dyke, just back over the bridge might fit well. I've only walked up to it but it's just out the back of Kyle, 5 min walk, short crag, good views and a cragging atmosphere.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/the_white_dyke-2369

henwardian 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> The Sonomara area at  Neist would be ideal: single pitch, decent anchors, plenty of routes in your grade range and about five minutes walk from the car park.

That's North of Portree :P

But I'd second it as a good choice on Skye. In terms of ambiance and views I'd say Neist blows White Dyke completely out of the water. Also, you have the option of the nice walk down to the lighthouse and if you climb into the early evening you can get that classic sunset photo of the lighthouse and cliffs from the cllifftop near the carpark.

I know there are a fair few lesser-known crags with a handful of easier routes on Skye but I'm afraid I've not visited them so I can't add any insight. I'm sure someone will be along at some point to give a view on Totem Pole and Na Huranan and so on.

Andy Clarke 05 Apr 2022
In reply to henwardian:

> That's North of Portree :P

True - by about 0.01 degrees!

I have actually visited  Na Huranan - in fact I added a few nice easy boulder problems a while back. It's a good wild location that I enjoyed - partly because I had such close views of a cuckoo it practically landed on my head! But I wouldn't recommend it for the OP's purpose: it's spread out, hard to navigate around and well-endowed with veg and choss.

Post edited at 10:01
 Mark Bull 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Neil Pratt:

This place near Point of Sleat might be an option:  Creag Mhor. I have walked past it but not climbed there - looks quite friendly, 45 min flattish walk-in, mostly on a good track. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...