SKILLS: Safe Access on MOD Land

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Military training including live firing takes place in many upland and coastal areas popular with walkers and climbers. The rules on accessing MOD land are strict, but so long as the appropriate precautions are taken the danger can be easily managed. Lizzie Enfield explains the dos and don'ts.

Read more

Kalna_kaza 24 Mar 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

I've found the red flags are often left flying on the edges of the Otterburn ranges, normally the eastern side away from the army camp, despite any advertised exercises having finished. Always worth phoning up before hand!

Bog ninja 24 Mar 2022

This is  a very good article with useful advice for the public but there’s a slight error in that Otterburn is in Northumberland and not in the North Pennines. There is MOD land on Warcop on the the North Pennines though. 

In reply to Bog ninja:

Good spot, thanks. I knew we meant Warcop, but managed to let it slip through nonetheless.

Matt Podd 24 Mar 2022

There are also non MOD ranges that restrict peoples access to the countryside. In the Radnor Forest the signs are permanent and restrict access to a number of 2000ft hills. Not sure if you can get permission to access them. I survived tresspassing to visit them.

Fat Bumbly2 24 Mar 2022
In reply to Matt Podd:

There should be no problems getting on to the central Radnor Forest hills.  The Ely range is down in Harley  Dingle.  I expect the signs have spread and become more strident since I was last there as this tends to happen.  Would never consider being on a Radnor Forest hill as "trespassing"

petecallaghan 24 Mar 2022

I don't think the MOD owns any land on Dartmoor, though it does pay Dartmoor landowners for access to areas. The Duchy of Cornwall nets a significant sum of public money annually to allow training on its land.

The military is a significant source of rubbish on the land it uses, a topic that is worth mention in passing. The environmental impact of MOD stewardship is something that could benefit from public assessment.

JDal 29 Mar 2022
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

> I've found the red flags are often left flying on the edges of the Otterburn ranges, normally the eastern side away from the army camp, despite any advertised exercises having finished. Always worth phoning up before hand!

Yep, true, but its worth noting that you've always got to phone up, and have an induction course, unless you are sticking to ROWs, roads and waymarked permissive routes. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...