Recommended walking boots that come a bit higher up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 19 Mar 2022

The trend at the moment seems to be to cut walking boots as low as possible. All well and good - I like to walk in trail running shoes whenever possible - but I'm looking for something that will keep my feet dry in some serious slush/bog, when used in conjunction with waterproof trousers and gaiters. Any recommendations appreciated for something that fits the bill. 

Requirements are:

• Waterproof
  • Reasonably warm
  • B0/B1
  • Decent tread
  • Use normal laces; no Salomon X-python lacing system' that, once broken, is unfixable outside of a shop. 

Not too fussed about them being super lightweight, as I like stuff that lasts a good length of time. 

Cheers. 

Doug 19 Mar 2022
In reply to Roberttaylor:

On the few occassions I've been in Sweden many of my Swedish colleagues wore what would best be described as 'short wellies' - rubber boots with a studded sole which come up to a bit above the ankle. I suspect there are several makes but the only name I can remember is Nokian (same company as Nokia). Maybe a bit sweaty but they had more or less dry feet while my leather boots were completely sodden after a day visiting various bogs & mires.

edit to add that a little Googling suggests they were wearing something like https://www.nokianfootwear.com/product/finntrim/

Post edited at 17:28

Maybe you should have a look at Altberg? I've not had a pair myself but I've got friends who love them.

norrisdan71 19 Mar 2022

Lundhags Forest boots (other models probably just as good and more insulation): rubber lower boot, leather from the laces up. Vibram sole, not cheap but last well. I used them in Sarek in north Sweden, lots of bogs as well as mountain, they worked well.

Guy Hurst 19 Mar 2022

A few companies do learther hunting boots that come higher up the leg than normal walking boots. Lowa, Hanwag and Meindl do, I'm pretty sure. None are cheap.

The Potato 21 Mar 2022

Good ones already mentioned, especially in the military style boot

abr1966 21 Mar 2022

Meindl Bhutan....I have used them for 2 years and they have been very solid but are a high boot....I found them too high initially but soon got used to them...

Toerag 22 Mar 2022

If you don't need precision toe boxes then by far the best bang for the buck would be the black British army 'lightweight' assault boots (full leather). You will, however, look military in them unless you hide them with gaiters / overtrousers. German 'para' boots are also good, but significantly heavier and with a more 'street' tread on them.

Lots of choice from Euro / scandi manufacturers, to get an ideas of what available I normally look at globetrotter.de as they have a huge selection of everything.  Might also be worth checking out survival / bushcraft / hunting sites?

https://www.globetrotter.de/winterstiefel-herren/

https://www.globetrotter.de/trekkingstiefel-herren/

Post edited at 11:35

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...