NEW ROUTE CARD: Sgurr Mor and the Eastern Fannaichs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
An extensive range of nine Munros, the Fannaichs offer a winning combination of easy grassy ridge walking and dramatic views. While a full traverse has an obvious logic, it's a major day for most; more convenient is to visit sections of the range over several visits. This medium-long route around the eastern peaks is reasonably challenging in its own right. The walk hinges on Sgurr Mor. Biggest of Fannaichs, and the highest point this far north in Scotland, it's an impressive steep-sided peak; and while the other three Munros feel rather less distinctive, the route linking them all is a great day out.

15.47 miles, 24.90 km, 1,371m ascent, 7:30 – 8:30 hours. Ullapool

Read more

colinakmc 15 Mar 2022
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Good ridge but s*** approach. I biked it in to Fannaich Lodge from the south - felt like very hard work going in despite almost no contour lines crossing the track, but in the dusk I whizzed back out to the main road in about 25 minutes. And very few bogs on the hill

Robert Durran 15 Mar 2022
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

When I did this recently, once I'd reached the bridge on the non-path on the way back, I cut diagonally up the hillside to rejoin the track you walk in on, saving the flog along the river. Seemed well worth it.

In reply to Robert Durran:

That may have been a good call, the river path is pretty awful

In reply to colinakmc:

Think I might give this approach a go in spring, and do all the peaks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...