B3 Boots Nightmare

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TLitchfield Global Crag Moderator 27 Feb 2022

I've been having a bit of a nightmare with B3 boots over the last few seasons

I have quite narrow heels but a fairly broad forefoot, so am really struggling to find anything that is both wide enough at the front but narrow enough at the heel to avoid heel lift. This has meant I've developed some pretty painful lumps on my heels, so ideally don't want anything too aggressive on the heel.

I've tried Nepals, mont blanc pros and phantom guides, all with a concoction of volume reducers and insoles etc, but all have ended up being pretty painful on my heels.

If anyone has any ideas, I'll be very grateful.

In reply to TLitchfield:

Have you tried Salewa?? I'm pretty useless at judging my feet shape as I thought I had big wide hoofs but I'm not so convinced anymore!

I find Salewa have a great heel and a wide toebox.

Otherwise visit Keswick Boot as they're pretty nifty about feet

ScraggyGoat 27 Feb 2022

Agree, try Salewa. Having said that I had a bit of heel lift in their B3 Vulturs so didn’t buy, but thier B1 and B2s for me solve the same problems you have for boots.  

Also take a look at some Asolo models.

Mr Fuller 27 Feb 2022
In reply to TLitchfield:

I've a very similar foot by the sound of things and also cannot wear any of your mentioned boots. Mammut work perfectly for me though. TNF's B3s do too, but they're no longer easily available. 

VictorM 27 Feb 2022
In reply to TLitchfield:

I'd say try as many German brand B3 boots as you can - they tend to be wider in the forefoot than most other Euro brands. 

PJ2398 27 Feb 2022
In reply to TLitchfield:

Agree with the previous posters re Salewa. I have similar feet to how you describe yours and the Vultur Verticals fit well. There are quite a few UK stockists for you to try them.

OP TLitchfield Global Crag Moderator 28 Feb 2022
In reply to TLitchfield:

Thanks all. This is very helpful. Looks like I'll be going to try some salewas and mammuts on then!

Jon Greengrass 28 Feb 2022
In reply to TLitchfield:

Take up a different sport that doesn't require shoehorning your feet into boots that aren't designed for a foot shaped foot. I sold all my ice climbing gear nearly 20 years ago when I decided the health of my feet was more important. 

oldie 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> Take up a different sport that doesn't require shoehorning your feet into boots that aren't designed for a foot shaped foot. I sold all my ice climbing gear nearly 20 years ago when I decided the health of my feet was more important. <

Obviously true for other aspects of climbing. For example: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/climbing-shoes-is-pain-insane .  The article gives a list of 10 conditions common to high ability climbers. I've got 9 of these and don't even have the compensation of ever being of high ability. I was talking with a climbing friend who is worried about bunions and they also wear high heels which are an additional common cause. In our cases neither of us is likely to quit the sport however.

OP TLitchfield Global Crag Moderator 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

I'm really sorry that your feet hurting stopped you getting out in the winter for good. I can definitely sypmathise, as my feet seem to either feel really painful and/or sloshing about when wearing stiff boots.

Thanks very much to everyone else for the really helpful replies. Getting out climbing (and walking) in the winter is something that I find extremely enjoyable, especially when my feet aren't in quite a lot of pain/ feel like they're sloshing around at the heel, so straight up quitting seems quite a drastic course of action.

I'd be very grateful for any more suggestions/advice (that doesn't involve finding a different sport )

Jon Greengrass 28 Feb 2022
In reply to TLitchfield:

Hope you find some comfy boots, getting out in the white stuff is wonderful.

TechnoJim 09 Mar 2022
In reply to TLitchfield:

What size hoof are you? I've got some Mammut Guide B3 boots that weren't quite right for me, good nick, size 47, you can have them cheap if they'll fit you, I'd rather they were getting used than sat in a cupboard.

Jim

mattc 09 Mar 2022
In reply to TLitchfield:

Thinking a bit outside the box here. what about a light ski boot? you could have the shell moulded? some of the b2 boots are amazing these days.  

Alkis 09 Mar 2022
In reply to TLitchfield:

I spent a decade in Mantas and half a season in Omegas and always had that problem. I then went and tried on quite a few different boots and, interestingly, while I had some heel lift in Nepal Extremes, I did not in Nepal Evos, presumably because of the more flexible ankle. It's been a revelation really, it's been great to be able to do stuff without murdering my feet...!

KA 10 Mar 2022
In reply to TLitchfield:

Try the Kayland 4001 GTX Boots, if you can find any, but don't pay the £700+ that someone is asking for them on Ebay.

OP TLitchfield Global Crag Moderator 21 Mar 2022
In reply to TechnoJim:

Hi Jim- I'm a six, so polar opposite of the foot size spectrum. Thanks very much for the generous offer though!

OP TLitchfield Global Crag Moderator 21 Mar 2022
In reply to KA:

Thanks Ken, Alkis and mattc for the suggestions. I will have an explore.

HardenClimber 22 Mar 2022
In reply to TLitchfield:

Certainly with older Nepals there was some boot to boot variability, so if one wasn't quite right t was reasonable to try another pair... not sure about whether that applies to the newer models. Also (from a friends experience) volume reducers sometimes make the forefoot to shallow for a given size so you end up with an even looser heel.

rockwing 22 Mar 2022
In reply to TLitchfield:

Similar position in having wide forefoot and thin ankles (flipper feet?).

Recently tried a pair of LS Nepal Cubes that were probably the widest B3s I've tried and fairly thin at the heel. I didn't buy in the end only as my trip got cancelled.

Don't confuse them with Nepal Evos which are definitely not as wide. Snow & Rock sell the Nepal Cubes.

OP TLitchfield Global Crag Moderator 23 Mar 2022
In reply to rockwing:

Thanks- I'll have a look!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...