REVIEW: 66°North Skaftafell jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 22 Feb 2022

Existing on the hazy boundary between fully waterproof and merely very water-resistant, and blurring the windproof/softshell/hard shell divide, the Skaftafell baffles binary thinking, says Toby Archer. It's unsettling. But in the real, wet and windy world, does it matter? 

Read more

phizz4 22 Feb 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I would imagine that it performs in a very similar way to Rab's Proflex fabric. It does look, from your pictures, that it wets out quite badly, but I found my early Proflex did the same until I washed it in Graingers. I also wonder how much the price reflects import costs as it is an Icelandic company?

TobyA 22 Feb 2022
In reply to phizz4:

In p*ssing down rain I don't think it wets out any more than a new decent hardshell. Plenty of beading up happens - see pic. Funnily enough, I wore this jacket https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/clothing/softshell/marmot_nabu_neoshell_jac... in pouring rain yesterday for the first time in ages and it worked fine for a limited time at least - maybe INFINIUM is the new Neoshell - neo-NeoShell?! - (which might mean not waterproof enough for Brits/Irish hill goers who like their waterproofs as waterproof as possible!).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...