Guy lines that wrap around tent poles?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JOC1 15 Feb 2022

I just wondered if this is just my lack of knowledge or if it's a completely recent concept, but in all the time I've camped I've never seen guy lines that wrap around tent poles.  I tried putting up my Robens Elk River 1 in the garden when first I got it and just assumed that all the guy lines went straight to the ground (thus, it didn't even occur to me to check the de/instructions - after all 'how many ways are there of setting guy-lines?' thought I).  Since then as I've looked for product reviews for it esp. being put up (of which there are precious few online), however, I have found a number of photos which suggest that when the tent is put up at least a couple of the guy ropes appear to require wrapping around the external tent poles, i.e. second picture on this site:  https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/robens-elk-river-1-tent-56547-p.asp 

I just wondered if this is something standard on modern/all tents that I've just never caught up with or if this is just something to with this this little tent.  Can you see any advantage/disadvantages to guy ropes that wrap around poles.  I guess now I've spotted it appears to be necessary for this tent I can do it, but it just seemed a rather odd thing to do, unless you tell me otherwise

Mal Grey 15 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

My VauDe Invenio, also an external pole design, recommends this in the instructions, though on that tent its not so obviously changing the angle of pull.

I guess the idea is to stabilise the poles rather than just the "suspended" tent, perhaps to take pressure off the stitched attachment points. I think there is a certain amount of slippage of the webbing round the pole, so it possibly also allows a little give to reduce stress. Either way, I do wrap mine around the poles and it holds up well to pretty strong winds (been out in gusting 50-60mph). 

Toerag 15 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

I guess it's the 'round turn and 2 half hitches effect' - taking a turn around the pole massively reduces the load on the attachment point.

Wingnut 15 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

>>I just wondered if this is something standard on modern/all tents that I've just never caught up with

External-pole designs like this are relatively unusual. More usually, the poles have sleeves round them, and you can't get at them to do this.

crayefish 15 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

That tent looks like a Vaude Hogan that had a serious eating binge (5kg... really?).  Nice design though.  I loved my Hogan... got one and a half decades of use before the floor delaminated.  I could pitch that puppy in about 2 mins flat in the dark.

To be honest, I never did the pole wrap with the guys unless it was a serious storm.

OP JOC1 15 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

5Kg is def. a typo.  On all other sites I've found including Robens own web page https://www.robens.de/en-gb/shop/outdoor-tents/elk-river-1 its 1.56Kg including poles, pegs and stuff sack, given that it's my first ever backpacking tent I was absolutely stunned at how little it actually weighed and how physically small the package is (though research suggests that you can go much lighter and smaller if you have the cash).  It's a doddle to put up too and I am amazed at the wind resistance shown on the Robens site too.  I got it from an ebay seller who had bought it new and never used it (and you could tell it had never been out in anger - just put up once to take photos apparently - for £90 'buy it now' inc. postage) - I spotted it and never looked any further having read about it.   It seemed an absolute steal.  It's just got these twiddly guy ropes which I'd never seen previously - hence this thread.

Post edited at 15:12
 crayefish 15 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

Phew... much better indeed!  Not bad for the price and space.

I think its a great design and a nice looking solo.  While they won't handle the winds of pole sleeved tents, they do make pitching a total doddle.  For 90 quid you've got yourself a steal there.

OP JOC1 15 Feb 2022
In reply to Mal Grey:

I can certainly see how it might take the pressure off the attachment points.    It certainly sounds as though it is worth doing I'll have to remember to put in a loop when I put it up.  I've even seen some pictures where it looks like the one at the back is also wrapped.  Perhaps it all helps with strength in a wind and the little tent seems to have good specs in that regard.  Well worth any little effort if it keeps the tent going for longer and me safer inside if the weather unexpectedly turns iffy.

norrisdan71 17 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

I have a Hilleberg Soulo, part sleeved, part clipped poles and you are recommended to wrap the guy loops round the poles where the are clipped. Looks like it would add strength to the tent overall and you can tie on extra guys when the wind gets up. I was told full length sleeves are stringer than clips FWIW.

cb294 17 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

Same on my Hilleberg and Vaude tents that have external pole sections.

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...