How bright is right (head torch)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kalna_kaza 05 Feb 2022

My Black Diamond head torch needs replacing as the clip closing the battery compartment keeps failing so is a liability in wet weather.

Generally only use it for an hour or two at the start of a big day and rarely do planned overnight trips. I think it's max brightness is 200 lumens but burns out the batteries fast so tend to use it on the middle setting (approx 100 lumens).

It's about 4 years old so is there anything else out there worth looking at? Budget £50 or less. 

Thanks in advance.

The Potato 05 Feb 2022
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

https://alpkit.com/collections/lighting

Also worth noting are the Petzl tikkina which is what I use for most road runs, coupled with an alpkit blip light on the rear. If im off roading ill use an alpkit viper, athlthough both have the same claimed output, the quality and beam of the viper are better 

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/lighting-c30/head-torc...

Post edited at 11:57
 wbo2 05 Feb 2022
In reply to Kalna_kaza:  I've got an older version of this https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/lighting/silva_trail_runner_free_he... that was less than 50 on sale so keep an eye out - can't fault it

dread-i 05 Feb 2022
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

>Generally only use it for an hour or two at the start of a big day and rarely do planned overnight trips.

How fast do you move?

If walking at night and I want the battery to last all night, I'll have it on the lowest setting. Especially if I'm walking with others and they all have head torches. For running you need to see further, so a brighter setting is good. Cycling you need to see even further ahead.

I have several head torches, but mainly use the Alpkit Quark, which is pretty good for the price. The rechargeable battery, saves money, and I can go out with 100% charge each time, but it can also use standard AAA batteries as well. The zoom, means I can vary the focus from a big pool of light, to something reaching off into the distance for finding stiles etc.

Past a certain point, extra lumens are just a marketing gimmick. Do you really need to see +400m into the distance, all the time? It would be nice to light up a hill side if you were looking for someone, but the cost is a reduced burn time.

Dino Dave 05 Feb 2022
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

It really depends on your activity, but I'm a big fan of my Petzl Bindi. I find it great for running (much more comfortable than it looks!) and it's my go-to headtorch for most occasions; it's usually just thrown in the top of the sack as my just-in-case. You can pick them up for £30, have 200 lumens peak and are rechargeable so no need to faff about with batteries. The only minor thing is there's no ability to switch between narrow and wide beam, but this hasn't been an issue for me (yet?). Worth a look, but there's plenty of good lamps out there now.

Mark Haward 06 Feb 2022
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

My BD headtorch clip broke too. Being a cheapskate I've found Gaffa tape closes it securely and rain hasn't been a problem. If the torch is otherwise still ok might be worth a try.

OP Kalna_kaza 07 Feb 2022
In reply to The Potato:

Looks good, probably what I'm after.

In reply to dread-i:

Looks like the Quark is sold out right now 

Fair comment about extra lumens, wasn't sure if there's much benefit... I was thinking brighter must be better but as you say, probably not if burn time is rubbish.

In reply to Dino Dave:

The bindi looks good, the extra cost over the tikkina easily saved in reduced battery costs.

In reply to Mark Haward:

I've used tape for the last couple of years and finally got sick of it last week during an unscheduled battery change!

I'm happy that I'm not the only one who's clip has broken.  It just seems like such a silly thing to happen to an otherwise good product. FYI mine snapped when using thin gloves and caused me some grief in the dark as the front of the lamp swung sideways repeatedly, illuminating the hillside but not the path. 

CantClimbTom 07 Feb 2022
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

> My Black Diamond head torch needs replacing as the clip closing the battery compartment keeps failing so is a liability in wet weather.

A small square of Gaffer Tape

Post edited at 14:47
 JOC1 16 Feb 2022
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Though they may not be thought to be in same class as Petzls and Black Diamonds I have been incredibly impressed with the Ever Ready Energizer head torch ranges.  They are available on a end of line website in GBP at the moment for as little as £6 which is a really good price for such a performer.  I would have thought they were well worth buying if anyone has room for a spare!

Basemetal 16 Feb 2022
In reply to dread-i:

I've been solidly impressed by Alpkit's Viper -the one that takes 3xAAA batteries. though mine predates the reactive lighting version I've found it good for 3 or 4  x 2+ hour descents on JCB Alkalines (cheapies from Home Bargains)with no appreciable power loss and pretty useful for navigation, at least in snow. No adjustable zoom or red light, but a wide-ishbeam shape that just works. Previously I've had a couple of Gammas which were less bright, a Pezll Myo 3xAA (less bright) and a couple of variations on the Tikka, all of which were a huge advance on my trusty Zoom.

I thought I'd lost my Viper at one point and bought another, so now if I'm really worried about all night I could carry two to avoid battery swapping in the dark, though a Petzl e-lite lives in the FAK.

whenry 16 Feb 2022
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

My wife's got a Petzl Actik Core that she's been very happy with for the past four or five years - you can get them for about £45.

JackArn 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

I went for Petzl Actik Core to replace old headtorch, works really well, rechargeable, 450 Lumens for about 2 hours, with reduced brightness after that for a few hours, or have in 100 lumens mode/ 6 lumen mode for much longer. Also has red light mode which is handy for certain situations. Think I paid £40/45 when I got mine.

Post edited at 12:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...