REVIEW: Scarpa Ribelle Run

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 28 Jan 2022

Incredibly well made, and capable of taking on a wide variety of terrain and a range of distances, these are superb all-round running shoes, says Rob Greenwood; but the generous fit won't suit everyone.

Read more

wbo2 28 Jan 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Annoyingly I haven't been able to get a look at a pair of these but, assuming you can get the fit to work, how would these work as an approach shoe, or for long scrambling days? I'm looking for an absolute workhorse mountain trainer

In reply to wbo2:

> Annoyingly I haven't been able to get a look at a pair of these but, assuming you can get the fit to work, how would these work as an approach shoe, or for long scrambling days? I'm looking for an absolute workhorse mountain trainer

If they fit they'd be great for that sort of thing.

Obvioulsy they're at the lighter end of the spectrum, so I'm not sure I'd categorise them as a workhorse, although I have found them to be impressively durable considering how light they are.

In many ways, the Ribelle Run is much more suitable as a UK approach shoe than most approach shoes, which tend to be quite heavy and feature remarkably shallow tread. Whilst this is great for places like Yosemite, it's not overly applicable to the wet/grassy banks we often find ourselves yomping up. The Ribelle Run has enough grip to deal with this sort of terrain, and the grippy sole is good enough to use for long scrambling.

In reply to wbo2:

Yes that's my question too. How well do they climb? It looks like there's a climbing zone bit on the toe but how sticky is it and how stiff are they? I tend to wear trail runners as approach shoes because US-style dotty soles are terrible on wet grass, but there's an obvious compromise when it comes to scrambling. I'm yet to find the perfect holy grail of scrambling/approach shoes, but maybe this is it?

In reply to pancakeandchips:

> Yes that's my question too. How well do they climb? It looks like there's a climbing zone bit on the toe but how sticky is it and how stiff are they? I tend to wear trail runners as approach shoes because US-style dotty soles are terrible on wet grass, but there's an obvious compromise when it comes to scrambling. I'm yet to find the perfect holy grail of scrambling/approach shoes, but maybe this is it?

I think I answered this within what I wrote above, but if you have any other questions let me know.

Understandably they don't offer quite the same level of precision as something like a Guide Tennie/Scarpa Crux, but the fact you won't fall to your death on a grassy slope is a major benefit!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...