Discontinued - Patagonia R1 half zip hoody???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 22 Jan 2022

Have the nutty folk at Patagucci stopped making the BEST MIDLAYER EVER (TM)? 

The half zip R1 hoody is a simply wonderful bit of kit - and I have no need to extol it's virtues - but I can only find the full zip version which just isn't the same. 

I've found one online but it's XXL and, sadly, due to my lack of stature, would be more of a knee length dress on me. 

Any info appreciated!

BB

torquil 22 Jan 2022
In reply to bouldery bits: I’d assumed it was just out of stock everywhere but it’s not on the main Patagonia website anymore either. At least every other company does a copy of it now - I still think the first berghaus version from 10+ years back was the best (except for having the wrong logo on the front) 

eaf4 22 Jan 2022
In reply to bouldery bits:

Yeah, I got one from needlesports about a month ago, couldn't find it anywhere else.and was last in my size. Is it just because of materials at the factory etc? Would be good to know because the full zip isn't as good.

If it’s only a month ago they disappeared as eaf4 said, it could be worth a few phone calls to larger retailers who previously stocked them?

I wanted a specific Rab top two years ago quite a long time after it was discontinued and out of stock everywhere online. However, I found three available (one in each of three different sizes) at one retailer which weren’t advertised at all but just held in their end of line stock.

When I initially asked the reply was no, none, out of stock, sorry, but after a chat about how I liked them and that I would definitely have bought one if they had my size left, within five minutes they had come back to me saying they had one in my size. Sometimes stock control errors, as in my case, makes them invisible in the system without someone checking manually.

Mike Nolan 22 Jan 2022

Spring 22 launches on the 1st of February, but there’s no normal R1s in the range. Just the R1 Air or TechFace, but no pullover hoody version sadly!

The R1 P/O Hoody is back in Fall 22 though, which launches on the 1st of August.

Post edited at 22:07

Everyone seems to be discontinuing this style. MEC made a great midweight base layer, the T3 hoodie. I noticed they were on clearance a few years ago and bagged a couple of each in S and M, for £23 each. With delivery & duty they worked out about £38 each.

The R1 is too heavy for me. The T3 is perfect in every way. Except it's discontinued...

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5026-604/T3-Hoodie

They did a T2 hoodie, too...

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-434/T2-Zip-Hoodie

Post edited at 22:47
 TobyA 22 Jan 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

Do you wear them out or something? My MEC hoody has to be well over a decade old now, possibly pushing 15 years, and I've used it more for serious mountain days than any other mid-layer and it's still fine. 

I've also got now an Alpkit Griffon, it's a full zip but I'm yet to find any disadvantages with the full zip.

In reply to TobyA:

> Do you wear them out or something?

No. I just like a bargain when i can get it...

They do wear out eventually.

MtnGeekUK 23 Jan 2022

Where was the XXL one you saw? 

OP bouldery bits 23 Jan 2022
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

It was a blue one on Alpinetrek I believe. 

Tried to post link but now seems to be gone? 

In reply to TobyA:

> Do you wear them out or something?

This topic reminded me to wear one. And it meant I could sit around the house with that and a Blacks full zip waffle inner fleece hoody without needing a synthetic jacket as well...

nathan79 24 Jan 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

I picked up a new without tags R1 on eBay a couple of months back, to see what the fuss was all about.

I'm surprised how thin it is, much lighter weight than my Decathlon copy and about the same as my old Marmot Thermo 1/2 zip fleece. 

In reply to nathan79:

They seemed to keep fiddling with the weight, too... The R1 pullover I've got really is quite thick. The last hoodie i saw was the same weight.

Inhambane 24 Jan 2022

they do a grid fleece half zip base layer, 

https://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/product/mens-capilene-midweight-zip-neck/444...

Jimbob11 24 Jan 2022

I managed to find one the other day, last Medium, They have a Large left, Superior Blue colour. 

Oddly, I can't find a medium in the full zip hoodie, I have the blue and would kill for another colour. 

Will send you the link to the large now.

James. 

OP bouldery bits 24 Jan 2022
In reply to Jimbob11:

Thank you very much for your email! 

Sadly, I am very much in the small camp but a friend of mine is actually on the hunt for a large so I have forwarded the info you sent. Much appreciated!

BB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...