Mountain bike approach to the CIC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mutt 21 Jan 2022

Would anyone get annoyed if I mountain biked up from Ben Nevis north face carpark to reduce the walk in to routes above the CIC hut? There's a bunch of mountain bike routes there but climbing is best done on the main track. Walking those switch backs through the woods is so tedious!

Probs leave the bike in the locked high car park or the edge of the woods.

subtle 21 Jan 2022
In reply to mutt:

The road to the upper car park does not follow the walking footpath so you would be fine - it is done quite a lot by bike!

rsc 21 Jan 2022
In reply to mutt:

You can ride up the forest roads from behind the Gondola car park. It’s easier riding, avoids conflict with walkers- and it’s fast on the downhill!

I’ve locked my bike to the fence beside the big stile at the top of the forestry with no problem. Riding the path beyond there probably isn’t worth it. The drainage gaps are too big to jump (certainly with a climbing pack on) and you would be annoying walkers.

Fredt 21 Jan 2022
In reply to rsc:

Might be feasible with an electric one, or maybe an off-road motorcycle.

ebdon 21 Jan 2022
In reply to mutt:

I have seriously considered this, if your happy/ fit enough slogging uphill on your bike with a pack on that is. The descent would be very quick! I wouldn't bother going beyond the deer fence at the end of the forestry track though.

Martin W 21 Jan 2022
In reply to Fredt:

> Might be feasible with an electric one, or maybe an off-road motorcycle.

In theory one would need the permission of the landowner (British Aluminium I think) for the latter option. Also for the former option if it wasn't a road-legal EAPC.

In either case I'd be concerned about erosion of the less well engineered parts of the path, especially at this time of year, as well as possible conflict with people on foot.

DaveHK 21 Jan 2022
In reply to mutt:

Assuming all the usual caveats of responsible access there's absolutely no issue with you doing it from an access or environmental standpoint.

However, I've done it a few times and depending on exactly what you're doing I don't think it saves much time.

Going up the footpath from the North Face car park is a bit of a slog and I don't think it would be much fun with climbing kit. Going from Nevis Range is easier but much longer.

Coming down the normal path to the North Face car park is obviously quicker than walking but it's so steep that you're just riding the brakes all the time.

Post edited at 12:51
 DaveHK 21 Jan 2022
In reply to ebdon:

>  I wouldn't bother going beyond the deer fence at the end of the forestry track though.

If you were looking for some fun mountain biking the descent from the CIC is good.  If you're not loaded up with climbing gear and have the skills it's also pretty rideable on the way up.

colinakmc 21 Jan 2022
In reply to Martin W:

> In theory one would need the permission of the landowner (British Aluminium I think) for the latter option. Also for the former option if it wasn't a road-legal EAPC.

A bike is an “aid to pedestrianism” so the normal Scottish access legislation should apply. Can’t see any need for landowner permission, only for responsible behaviour and avoidance of wilful damage.

alibrightman 22 Jan 2022
In reply to colinakmc:

Martin W was responding to the suggestion of using "an off-road motorcycle". Bad idea.

The OP (and you?) are talking about using a bicycle. No probs.

Cheers

Al

peppermill 22 Jan 2022
In reply to mutt:

As others have said I don't think there'd be any problems but it just seems more hassle than it's worth, the walk in is pretty chill IMO, but it sounds like you've done it before so I'm guessing you know what you're in for!

DaveHK 22 Jan 2022
In reply to Martin W:

> In either case I'd be concerned about erosion of the less well engineered parts of the path, especially at this time of year, as well as possible conflict with people on foot.

It's not particularly busy and very well surfaced so that's really not an issue.

Conflict doesn't happen because people share a trail it happens because of how people share a trail. A bit of come and go and common sense and everyone can be happy.

Post edited at 08:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...