REVIEW: Rab's New Generator Alpine Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 21 Jan 2022

Whether you're a walker on a snowy summit, or a climber resigned to a frigid belay, reliable and packable synthetic insulation is a winter essential. With an active cut, a great hood, and cutting edge fill that's really warm for its weight, the new Generator Alpine could be Rab's best ever belay jacket, says Dan Bailey.  

Read more

nniff 21 Jan 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

The big question is 'Has it got a popper at the bottom of the zip?'

IMHO, a double ended zip allows you to undo the zip so that your belay device is accessible, but then you need a popper underneath so that you can pull the rest of the jacket down and fasten it.  My older jackets had this, as a result of a poppered flap over the zip - the newer ones - no.   

In reply to nniff:

Yes, it's got one. Should have said

nniff 21 Jan 2022
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Ta dah - result!  All of a sudden, I'm in the market!

In reply to nniff:

Thanks for asking: I've updated the review

Fraser 23 Jan 2022

I know it's not an 'alpine' style garment but do you know if there are plans for a smock version? I have two of these which are great and I'm convinced that's mostly due to the pull-over design, compared to having a full-length front zip.

Twiggy Diablo 01 Feb 2022

Please could you post a better image of how small it packs down? I can’t get any sense of scale from the 750ml flask i’m afraid.

(edit: in fact so much so when i showed it my wife she thought it was a joke picture!)

Post edited at 18:21
In reply to Fraser:

> I know it's not an 'alpine' style garment but do you know if there are plans for a smock version? I have two of these which are great and I'm convinced that's mostly due to the pull-over design, compared to having a full-length front zip.

I don’t have this direct form the horses mouth, but I’d have thought it quite unlikely for two reasons. Firstly, because it’d be a pretty sizable jacket to make into a smock. Secondly, because having spoken to brands about smocks before one thing is clear - that they simply don’t sell. As such, they aren’t financially viable.

That said, I’ll happily ask!

greg_may_ 01 Feb 2022

I've got one of these - really happy with it so far, fit is great and the lime green is VERY green. Pac size, it'll crush down to the size of a 1kg bag of flour with some persuasion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...