Glove recommendations please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Queenie 08 Jan 2022

I run canicross and hate running with hot, gloved hands...but could do with protection, due to being a paid-up member of the frequent faller club. (Gouged-up palms smart, btw). Can anyone point me towards something that covers the fleshy palm area, without leaving me angry, with hot hands?

Ridge 08 Jan 2022
In reply to Queenie:

Maybe fingerless MTB gloves or, if you can get them, fingerless Via Ferrara gloves which are just plain leather on the palms (handy for grabbing a bungee lead without burning your palm).

The Potato 08 Jan 2022
In reply to Queenie:

crochet cycle gloves, or any other cycle mitts, fingerless leather gloves, weightlifting gloves etc

I'd offer to swap hands with you, mine are always cold

Post edited at 19:04
 freeflyer 08 Jan 2022
In reply to Queenie:

You could try wrist guards?

Edit to add: if you don't like the metal protectors, you can usually take them out.

Post edited at 21:10
 MisterPiggy 08 Jan 2022
In reply to Queenie:

Another vote for cheapo fingerless cycling gloves - mine are Decathlon specials.

I suffer from the same thing - twice already this year: the last fall **cking up my right elbow/forearm which took the brunt of the fall. So along with the mitts, I now wear a handball player's elbow/arm sleeve on the right arm.

So mitts are good, and I'd recommend the sleeves in case the next fall is a biggy.

j 🙂

girlymonkey 08 Jan 2022
In reply to Queenie:

Do you run in long sleeves at this time of year? What about a lightish baselayer with thumb loops?

I seem to always land heavily on my thigh, I think the pull from the dog makes me fall very differently to normal. I have several ripped leggings from it! 

OP Queenie 09 Jan 2022
In reply to girlymonkey:

Long sleeves only if sub zero, or bitter wind.

The knees take it hard too, so many chewed up leggings!

oldie 09 Jan 2022
In reply to Queenie:

How about cheapo work gloves from Toolstation etc. Probably choose thicker palmside version rather than semidisposable. Possibly cut off fingers and seal edges with suitable glue.

Often harder to find in smaller sizes though.

Post edited at 15:14
 angry pirate 09 Jan 2022
In reply to Queenie:

Petzl Cordex?

I've used mine for mountain biking and also for hand protection for aerobic activities.

https://www.petzl.com/GB/en/Sport/Packs-and-accessories/CORDEX

Admittedly, they are a bit more spendy then when I picked mine up.

Phil1919 09 Jan 2022
In reply to Queenie:

I would just take a lot more care not to fall over. When on difficult ground I consciously look for the best line, plant my feet more carefully, and lift my feet deliberately. You could be unluckier than you think on one of your falls.

OP Queenie 09 Jan 2022

Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll take a look at them. I'm getting soft volleyball kneepads too.

OP Queenie 09 Jan 2022
In reply to Phil1919:

Understood. Two of my canicrossing friends  have fractured an arm in last 2 months

In reply to Queenie:

> I run canicross and hate running with hot, gloved hands...but could do with protection, due to being a paid-up member of the frequent faller club. (Gouged-up palms smart, btw). Can anyone point me towards something that covers the fleshy palm area, without leaving me angry, with hot hands?

You can get cheap leather gardening gloves which I use for spiky stuff and chopping wood at most DIY places. Chop the fingers off?

Post edited at 20:30
scotthldr 09 Jan 2022
In reply to Queenie:

Bear Grip weight lifting gloves.

Phil1919 10 Jan 2022
In reply to Queenie:

I can empathise. Painful. I have fallen a couple of times in the last few years on limestone. Really lucky not to have done the same. Elbow injury has stayed with me. Probably would have become hypothermic if I'd been immobilised as I run early in the morning, no one around. Big believer in prevention rather than cure.

girlymonkey 10 Jan 2022
In reply to Queenie:

My husband broke his hand last year on a canicross run...while we had stopped to let the dogs drink!! He had a friend's nice, well behaved dog. He friend was next to him at the water side with his excitable young dog, who decided to go and say hello to the dog my husband had. It did so by going around the other side of my husband and then going forward, so the line caught the back of my husband's legs and took his feet out from under him and he went down hard onto a rock on his hand! 🤦 

Standing still is dangerous...keep running! 😜

Basemetal 10 Jan 2022
In reply to Queenie:

Gel-palmed cheap cycling gloves from Lidl-de-Aldi? £3.99 or £4.99 usually, provide sun cover for the back of your hand as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...