Spantiks fell apart in cold temps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andrewm1000 02 Jan 2022

After a ten hour plod through knee deep snow in the Khumbu area last week, with temps between minus 15 and 20 C the back of the uppers on my ten year old Spantiks completely fell apart exposing the inner insulation. No idea why. Uppers were fine before and soles are perfect. Fyi 

TobyA 02 Jan 2022
In reply to andrewm1000:

I've never owned Spantiks so don't know - is it a sewn on heel strip like on most boots or do they have some glued on or otherwise bonded seal at the back? If it is sewn I'm really surprised that all that could fail at once!

OP andrewm1000 02 Jan 2022
In reply to TobyA: Thanks. Black rubber covering all the heel and sides above the crampon heel clip area. Don’t know how to post picks. The rubber split heavily on both right and left boots. It was exceptionally cold but not for Spantiks. I can only think that over 10 years almost,  the rubber has deteriorated, but looked fine before the trip. They are now unusable. 

In reply to andrewm1000: glued not sewn

In reply to andrewm1000: here are pics

Siward 02 Jan 2022
In reply to andrewm1000:

That's poor isn't it but I don't think manufacturers have any interest in longevity, its all about next season's shiny new gear isn't it?

Maybe worth contacting the manufacturer /importer and ask them if they think it's acceptable? 

tspoon1981 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Siward:

> Maybe worth contacting the manufacturer /importer and ask them if they think it's acceptable? 

Do you genuinely think they would be interested in a 10+ year old boot with an unknown storage and usage history? 

Siward 02 Jan 2022
In reply to tspoon1981:

Depends if they stand behind their brand I'd say. Remember Karrimor etc (OK they went bust but not because of their guarantee). 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...