Mountain Personal Injury Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TLitchfield Global Crag Moderator 30 Dec 2021

Sorry pretty boring thread and I'm sure this has already been discussed in a lot of detail before on here, but I would really appreciate any advice folk might have.

Does anyone know of any personal injury cover I can take out to cover me getting out walking and climbing in the hills, that isn't in the form of an annual multi-trip policy (e.g., BMC/Snowcard cover)?

I already have 3rd party liability cover through Mountaineering Scotland, so am only interested in a policy that would cover 'no-fault' injuries sustained by me.

As I understand it, annual multi-trip cover policies doesn't cover day trips, where there isn't overnight accommodation?

Post edited at 12:21
 Howard J 30 Dec 2021
In reply to TLitchfield:

I would think a general personal accident policy would be better, so you would be compensated for any injury and not just those sustained while mountaineering. Some insurers might exclude what they regard as hazardous activities, but I think most would cover you although they might charge a higher premium.

OP TLitchfield Global Crag Moderator 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Howard J:

Good point- Hadn't thought of that- doh

Toerag 30 Dec 2021
In reply to TLitchfield:

Doesn't BMC personal membership give you personal insurance?

OP TLitchfield Global Crag Moderator 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Toerag:

As far as I'm aware, its liability cover (https://www.howdengroup.com/uk-en/british-mountaineering-council/members), so I'd be protected (obviously within the limits of the policy) from any damages someone tried to claim against me if something I did (or didnt do) caused them to suffer some damage.

My understanding is that this wouldn't cover me for any injuries I sustain. I'm after some cover that would.

Howard J 31 Dec 2021
In reply to TLitchfield:

Individual BMC membership (but not club membership) comes with £10,000 personal accident cover, as well as third party liability.  However that's not a lot, especially if loss of earnings might be a concern to you.

https://membership.thebmc.co.uk/StaticPage/Benefits

OP TLitchfield Global Crag Moderator 31 Dec 2021
In reply to Howard J:

Thanks very much Howard- I didn't know that about BMC membership! Doesn't look like Mountaineering Scotland offer personal accident cover with their membership, unfortunately, which is pretty interesting.

I think I would be after more comprehensive cover than £10k, as I guess it probably wouldn't go that far even for medical expenses alone should the worst happen (e.g., I ended up needing some longer-term care/rehab)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...