Lake District Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shane1990 20 Dec 2021

I've taken a look at the weather line, noticed a fair few of the fell top assessors stating there is some consolidated Neve in and around Red Tarn Cove given the recent freeze/thaw. What is the general consensus on conditions around there, including Brown Cove Crag? 

Hoping to head up on Thurs for the day with the missus for some easy grade I/II if there is anything going. Won't be hacking any turf as I doubt it is frozen yet.

If anyone has been recently I would appreciate any update! 

In reply to Shane1990:

There's only snow patches. Nothing doing I'm afraid.

OP Shane1990 20 Dec 2021
In reply to Full moon addict:

Thanks mate. 

geordiepie 07 Jan 2022
In reply to Shane1990:

To keep the thread going has anyone been out this week?

Will be out on Sunday if conditions allow

Jon Stewart 07 Jan 2022
In reply to geordiepie:

There's snow down to 200m

geordiepie 07 Jan 2022
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Looks like a freeze thaw tomorrow so Sunday is a distinct possibility.

felt 07 Jan 2022
 J Whittaker 07 Jan 2022
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Fingers crossed for some lakes winter. I'm gagging to freeze my tits off and climb some mixed, wonder why on earth I'm doing it and just wish I was in a warm cozy living room, get home think how awesome it was and then go back and do it all over again.

Comfort is overrated.

LakesWinter 07 Jan 2022
In reply to geordiepie:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/lake-district-winter-conditions

Worth leeping an eye on the turf temps here too

Wainers44 07 Jan 2022
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> There's snow down to 200m

But the sheep turds on Little Mell Fell aren't frozen?

Jon Stewart 07 Jan 2022
In reply to Wainers44:

Looking out my window earlier. Checking the map it's 300m. Got no more to give! 

Jon Stewart 08 Jan 2022
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Looking out my window earlier...

Not any more. Putting a movie on.

geordiepie 08 Jan 2022
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Had a run up Bowscale Fell around 4pm to see what’s what. Slush up to 600m and only slightly firmer above this. Most snow stripped by the rain but east facing slopes still holding a bit.

A good freeze tonight will firm everything up just depends how much snow/ice is left after today’s thaw.

I will probably go out for a look tomorrow regardless.

DSM 09 Jan 2022

Ran around Blea Water area Sat/PM. Deep wet snow & unfrozen turf at all levels, becks in spate but also quite a lot of ice in evidence. No climbing yet but with a sustained freeze …

By the way, the road along Haweswater was flooded at the hotel & not passable to ordinary cars adding 7km to the approach.

DSM

geordiepie 09 Jan 2022
In reply to geordiepie:

Had a look at Brown Cove crag. Soft snow and very little ice low down but decent towards the top of the crag. Ground not frozen so just walked up.

olddirtydoggy 09 Jan 2022
In reply to Shane1990:

Looking to head out for a few days from Wednesday. The forecasts are bobbing up and down a bit but it looks like the Lakes this coming week is marginally colder than up Scotland if things continue as predicted.

OP Shane1990 18 Jan 2022
In reply to Shane1990:

Anything doing? I was up around Red Tarn a few days back, granted it was very mild, but nothing going. 

Hopefully this weekend may be more promising if the overnight freezes continue...

planetmarshall 18 Jan 2022
In reply to Shane1990:

A couple of friends did one of the easy gullies around Red Tarn at the weekend and reported it to be climbable. However there's not been much snow nor is there any forecast so I wouldn't expect there to be much change.

I did Striding Edge in reverse on Saturday and it can be done entirely on rock other than a patch of neve at the exit on the Helvellyn side.

OP Shane1990 18 Jan 2022

Has anyone had eyes on Great End and the surrounding higher areas? Wondering if any of the gullies are still holding snow. 

In reply to Shane1990:

Heading up next Thursday, starting to think could it be? I mean, it won't, but could it be?

Met Office forecast is looking promisingish 

In reply to OneBeardedWalker:

I wouldn't get too excited. It was looking like early May yesterday. some streaks of bone hard snow but really very spartan indeed for January. From my reading, it looks like it will be too warm next week for any sort of build up.

blackcat 21 Jan 2022
In reply to Full moon addict:

I feel like im giving up on winter climbing in the lake district,unless you live on the doorstep of the lakes to catch fleeting good conditions,its not much cop.i get much more pleasure out of trail running these days.

Wainers44 21 Jan 2022
In reply to blackcat:

> I feel like im giving up on winter climbing in the lake district,unless you live on the doorstep of the lakes to catch fleeting good conditions,its not much cop.i get much more pleasure out of trail running these days.

Its OK if you are prepared to turn into an owl. Some lovely cold conditions this week at night and folk still on the tops of Bencathra and Clough Head well after dark judging by the headtorches I could see as I ran down to Keswick from Penruddock. 

In reply to Wainers44:

its been cold enough during the day - just no snow!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...