Top Gun: Maverick (trailer)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 13 Dec 2021

Looking back on teenage years with nostalgia against all the odds. The light at the end of the tunnel is the release of Top Gun: Maverick (which keeps getting postponed). The trailer...

youtube.com/watch?v=g4U4BQW9OEk&

Here's to mindless escapism. Here's to 59 year old scientologists flying fast planes, thinly veiled homoeroticism and to high strength retro-cheese!

Dave Garnett 13 Dec 2021
In reply to broken spectre:

It's not about his retirement in a caravan then?

flatlandrich 13 Dec 2021

Probably be postponed again the way things are going. Which would be a shame as it's one of the few films I've been looking forward to seeing lately. 

Andy Hardy 13 Dec 2021

I wonder if Nick Park / Aardman ever thought about making Wallace a hot shot jet jockey? That would be well worth a watch!

wintertree 13 Dec 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I struggled with Aardman’s “Ware Rabbit”; it was scored by Hans Zimmer of Top Gun fame; as awesome as Zimmer is, he just wasn’t a good fit for a Wallace and Grommit.  Far too epic Hollywood, not enough Yorkshire brass band.

Bobling 13 Dec 2021

So much squee of excitement.

I'm obviously too low-brow for some of you! Instead of taking the p*sh you could always flag up what you like. What film trailers pick you up?

Post edited at 19:07
 bouldery bits 13 Dec 2021

> I'm obviously too low-brow for some of you! Instead of taking the p*sh you could always flag up what you like. What film trailers pick you up?

The reality is this. If they get it wrong, I will never, ever forgive them. 

Ever. 

Top Gun is so dumb that it's genius. 

Kevster 13 Dec 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

I remember as  kid going to the local american air base (bowling - some exchange of favours as we had an army base near us too). We got to go into their "mess" room. There was a juke box, we filled it with our pocket money and put the top gun songs on back to back all afternoon. 
That was even better than the film. We were obviously guilty by the giggles all afternoon. They took it surprisingly well - but we didnt go back a 2nd time......

Just thought I'd bump this thread

"Sorry, Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

mountainbagger 14 Dec 2021

I feel the need, the need for speed!

mountainbagger 14 Dec 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

Oh wow, just googled Top Gun quotes after posting that... there's so many classics I'd forgotten about!

In reply to mountainbagger:

> I feel the need, the need for speed!

Isn't that one from Michael Gove?

In reply to Kevster:

The bar which featured in the original film is downtown near Seaport Village in San Diego, and we always go in for breakfast when we’re over there. Last time I was in there, Kenny Loggins ‘Danger Zone’ was still on the Juke box. I was working at USCSD for a short while and got invited up to Miramar after a conference which was incredible.

cb294 16 Dec 2021
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Ha, me too, plus a Big Kahuna at the burger bar from Pulp Fiction. Not that I even like that film, but it is right next to the best place for birding on the South end of the lagoon and the burgers are really good!

CB

nufkin 16 Dec 2021
In reply to flatlandrich:

> Probably be postponed again the way things are going.

If they wait too much longer the whole concept will have been made obsolete by drone swarms

Tricky Dicky 16 Dec 2021
In reply to Kevster:

I worked at a military base at the time, half army, half air force. Every other week the film club played TopGun, the fly boys just couldn't get enough of it.............

Dax H 16 Dec 2021

Sometimes a mindless action film is just the ticket.

I have no doubt at all that over Christmas the Mrs will want to watch battleships again (she likes the pretty men) and I will watch it, enjoy it and I don't mind admitting get a little lump in my throat when Thunderstruck strikes up and the old boys bring the big boat out to play.

Escapism can be a wonderful thing.

RE the new top gun. I only go to the cinema once every few years, I prefer to wait and watch it at home but Top Gun was my first cinema trip without parents and there is something about a big action blockbuster on the big screen you just can't beat so I might go see it. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...