Hut-friendly headtorches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Duncan Beard 01 Dec 2021

Does anyone know of a hut-friendly headtorch? By that I mean compatible with getting up without disturbing others. Ideally first press would get soft red light, second would get soft white light, 3rd would get super bright dazzle everyone. The two I have are pretty much the opposite & don't do red anyway.

ian caton 01 Dec 2021
In reply to Duncan Beard:

Petzl

If you don’t mind carrying an emergency headtorch, the lightweight Petzl e-lite has the red as the first setting from one of the two off positions. It’s easy to carry so could be used just in the hut, with one of you existing head torches otherwise?

Toccata 01 Dec 2021

This is what my Actik does although you have to set it to come on with red first.

Andy Hardy 01 Dec 2021

Decathlon? 

Edited to remove non-working link

Post edited at 13:36
 Snyggapa 01 Dec 2021

Nitecore NU25  has 2 buttons - one for red and one for white. First press on either brings up the LED in super-dim mode, further presses make it go brighter. 

USB rechargeable which may or may not be what you are after

laughitup 01 Dec 2021
In reply to Snyggapa:

Another vote for the NU25. First press of white light button gets you a 1 lumen white beam and one of the red gets a super dim red light that won't ruin any night vision. Not name brand but it's the best headtorch I've owned. 

tlouth7 01 Dec 2021

It is a while since I last bought a headtorch but the system with Petzl headtorches used to (and may still) be a long press to switch between white and red. It remembers between uses so you just need to switch to red the evening before and you can't screw it up.

They also had (or have) the nice feature that after a couple of seconds of use a single press turns them directly off, rather than having to scroll through the remaining modes.

Garethza 01 Dec 2021

Does the order really matter? Just turn it on in your hand covering the bulb then switch to whatever setting you need! 

LastBoyScout 01 Dec 2021

Petzl Tikkid - specifically designed so it isn't too bright and damages eyes when kids inevitably shine it in faces. Has 2 light levels - 4 or 20 lumens.

You can get a red filter as an accessory for some of the other older Petzl ones, like my Tikka XP. As Tlouth says above, you may not need it with the newer ones.

Otherwise, just put worn down batteries in at night or put it in a red bag

Post edited at 14:41
 Neil Williams 01 Dec 2021

Really cheap one off Amazon/eBay that just isn't bright to start with?

CantClimbTom 01 Dec 2021

Why not switch it on by pressing the torch into your arm/leg/jackets sleeping bag to stiffle the light, then press the button 3 times or whatever combination needed -- then put it on your head?

Am I overcomplicating this?

Post edited at 15:03
 99ster 01 Dec 2021

Good on you for thinking about this. 

I was in the Gouter Hut dormitory - which has very well thought out night lighting (little led's I think around the skirting boards) - that makes it really very easy for people to get-up in the night without disturbing others as you just don't need a torch at all.  Despite that there were still a number of idiots who insisted on coming into the room with their 1000 lumen head torches switched on...!

barry donovan 01 Dec 2021

The best way to wear a head torch is . . .not on your head.  So many times I’ve been out at night with people with head touches that could light the way for the star ship enterprise.  You say their name and kapow you see stars for ten minutes  Try wearing the torch around your neck and upside down (the torch not you ). 

The torch will flood the floor and everything down and in front of you as you tilt it up it illuminates the ground etc more.  It is a revelation to people who try it and saves ducking for cover every time they turn round to look in your direction. 

Try it tonight before you take the p**s 

cheers 

OP Duncan Beard 01 Dec 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Why not switch it on by pressing the torch into your arm/leg/jackets sleeping bag

Done that but it gets tedious!

Post edited at 18:11
In reply to barry donovan:

> The torch will flood the floor and everything down and in front of you as you tilt it up it illuminates the ground etc more.

The folks on the lower bunk may not thank you as you climb down from the upper!

Thanks for recommndations folks. Not sure which to choose but theres no rush.

I have a cheapy rolson one for this. Might have even come from the pound shop. Switch goes one way for white, other way for red, middle puts it in turn-on-in-the-bag mode.

AlanLittle 02 Dec 2021

I recently acquired a Zebralight, with which you can (with some unintuitive fiddling) programme presses & light intensity however you want. I've set mine up pretty much as you described, so a single press is a really, really dim indoor nightlight, and "brighter than a thousand suns" mode is a couple of presses away & impossible to do by accident.

HeMa 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

This...

As if you are moving when you need a headlamp.... you better bring an emergency one... your main one might break, get dropped into a crevasse and whatnot. So having a spare one makes sense anyway... and for the spare one to have a proper use (hut headlamp), even better.

e-lite is really small and more than enough the casual jobs. Not really a proper climbing or trail lamp, but it'll work even for that if you don't have anything better.

jon 02 Dec 2021

You're really overthinking this. Use any headtorch you want. In the hut DON'T put it on your head, hold it in your hand and cover the light with your fingers, just letting enough light out to see where you're going...

Jenny C 02 Dec 2021
In reply to HeMa:

When traveling my Dad wears his elite as a bracelet so he can find his way to the bathroom without waking Mum.

RX-78 02 Dec 2021
In reply to jon:

I use a decathlon one that starts with dim red Light, it frees up your hand for getting into and out of a sleeping bag and tent, maybe having to put on extra clothes to keep from freezing in the loo.

OP Duncan Beard 02 Dec 2021
In reply to jon:

> hold it in your hand and cover the light with your fingers

Done that too, but it's quite hard to get dressed, put stuff in a bag or even open the doorlatches of the LMC hut (in Wales) without waking everyone, without two functioning hands.

Misha 03 Dec 2021

The Petzl ones do red but another option is to get a lightweight small torch, ideally with dimmable white light. Saves on using the battery on the main torch (a consideration if you’re in a bivvy hut).

Eduardo2010 06 Dec 2021

iphone? Albeit not a headtorch.

OP Duncan Beard 10 Dec 2021
In reply to Misha:

I do own a small cheap headtorch (£5? from Blacks a few years ago!). Maybe I should stick red cellophane over it. I could always peel it off in the event of an emergency.

BattyMilk 11 Dec 2021

I’ve just bought one of these http://www.mankerlight.com/manker-e02-ii-ultra-compact-pocket-edc-flashligh... for reading in bed on a recommendation as my wife was complaining about how bright my BD revolt was.  

it’s absolutely tiny, very cheap (but you have to buy the head strap from them separately for another few quid), weighs almost nothing, built like a tank, waterproof and has a few different moonlight modes. 2 of which are too dim to even read by with it on my head. On normal brightness it’s surprisingly bright for the times you don’t need to be discreet.

It doesn’t have a red mode but you can switch directly to the moonlight setting from off  

Battery life is good but runs off AAA batteries (I’m using Eneloop rechargeables). You also have to order from China. Mine arrived in under a week though and postage is free. 

Post edited at 10:39

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...