Mountain Guide recommendation for Mt. Blanc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matej 30 Nov 2021

Hello all!

I am still getting into the mountaineering , I have already climbed some mountains and all of them with local guides to learn as much as possible, mostly in Caucasus and Bolivia where there was super easy to find highly skilled guides but for the next year, I would like to go to Mt. Blanc and out of sudden there are too many options. Can you please recommend some good options with whom to do this climb?

Best Regards

Matej

99ster 30 Nov 2021
In reply to Matej:

Neil Mackay - IFMGA British Guide:

https://skiascent.com/

CantClimbTom 30 Nov 2021
In reply to 99ster:

> Neil Mackay - IFMGA British Guide:

Lots of lovely pics from Mont Blanc range there!

James Gordon 30 Nov 2021
In reply to Matej:

Stu Macdonald is a good friend and great company as are the guys he works with. 

https://www.stuartmacdonald.org/

OP Matej 03 Dec 2021
In reply to James Gordon:

Thanks for the recommendation. It looks great but the price is too high, I guess because of the entire course spread to several days. Is this the usual price for climbing Mt. Blanc?

Best Regards

Matej

OP Matej 03 Dec 2021
In reply to 99ster:

Thanks, I will check this one as well.

Rob Parsons 04 Dec 2021
In reply to Matej:

Are you interested in learning about climbing? Or are you just interested in getting to the top of Mont Blanc, and then moving onto the next thing (whatever that is)?

Lankyman 04 Dec 2021
In reply to Matej:

How did you find your 'local guides' for the Caucasus and Bolivia? Were they local to those places or local to where you live?

In reply to Matej:

The price is pretty much the same with any guiding service, all will require a 6 day programme to summit Mont Blanc.

Suncream 04 Dec 2021
In reply to Will_Thomas_Harris:

Is that really true? If I contacted you saying I wanted someone to tie in to to summit mont Blanc, you would insist on a full 6 days? Even though I have plenty of experience and can acclimatise myself?

Surely if OP can convince a guide he doesn't need the prep days then he could pay for just two?

BattyMilk 04 Dec 2021
In reply to Matej:

I might get severely down voted for the suggestion, but would you consider going without a guide?

A friend and I did it a couple of years ago on minimal experience. 

I’d previously been on a weeks winter mountaineering course in Scotland so had experience walking in crampons and ice axe arrest and I climb. My friend had worn crampons for a few days on a glacier and is terrified of heights.

I spent a year obsessing over the details and planning, reading trip reports and watching videos, getting my fitness up to scratch. 

We spent a week in Chamonix with the days prior doing some walking and running up high, a day on the glacier with an instructor learning crevasse rescue and a day dossing about up at the aguille. We rented boots, axes and crampons and went for it and had one of the best experiences of our lives. 

The couloir is a bit hairy and the scramble up to the Gouter after requires some care and is a huge slog but the rest is just a long walk up hill. 

it’s certainly achievable with a bit of planning and learning without a guide and you can save all that money to buy €8 cups of instant coffee at the hut 

Post edited at 10:03
OP Matej 07 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

They were local to their places, well for example in Bolivia it works based on recommendations from friends or people around you , then you have multiple whatsup groups where you can simply join someone to climb some mountain in Andes.

OP Matej 07 Dec 2021
In reply to Rob Parsons:

I am currently in the learning phase. Still way to go to be able to choose mountains based on getting just to the top. 

OP Matej 07 Dec 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

Thanks for the idea! This is indeed interesting option for me!

BattyMilk 07 Dec 2021
In reply to Matej:

Feel free to message me if there’s any particular info you need (or just want a brain dump)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...