Recommend me an adventure film

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BattyMilk 27 Nov 2021

Mrs BattyMilk is out at a party, I’m home alone, fire is on, ale in my belly, the wind is howling outside and the cat is with me on the sofa. Taking recommendations for any adventure documentaries that I can stream (I’ve got prime and Netflix and happy to pay to rent something). The last one I watched that I thoroughly enjoyed was a chap and his dad canoeing down the Yukon (the Yukon assignment IIRC)

Cheers. 

In reply to BattyMilk:

In the spirit of UKC I haven’t done what you asked because this film is about an accident, not an adventure. But it is true, and I can’t explain why I like it so much but I do: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1764275/

plyometrics 27 Nov 2021
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

I see your unsolicited recommendation and raise you this: 

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80215139?source=35

In reply to plyometrics:

Good riposte. That’s another good watch in the watery peril genre. 

Tom Last 27 Nov 2021
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Ah, I really liked that film too. Good recommendation. 

CantClimbTom 27 Nov 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

If you want another then look at The Prophet with Leo Houlding and Jason Pickles, which I think is still free with Prime?

Edit: the trailer is here  youtube.com/watch?v=V-AapEZqgnc& and is included by Amazon Prime

Post edited at 21:40
 Bog ninja 27 Nov 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

How about Beau Miles on YouTube, he’s got some eccentric and thoughtful films both short and long to get stuck into

ablackett 27 Nov 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

I enjoyed ‘The River Runner’ on Netflix. I’ve seen a few of this sort of thing but had no idea that such huge water was kayakable.

Slackboot 27 Nov 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

Lawrence of Arabia every time. Kingdom of Heaven is good too. I only mention these because I have watched them again recently and really enjoyed them.

ripper 27 Nov 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

Aguirre, the Wrath of God

JohnV 28 Nov 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

"Into twin Galaxies" on Redbull TV (free).

In reply to Slackboot:

Lawrence of Arabia is just about the greatest 'big' movie ever made by the British cinema, by arguably the greatest of all British (box office) filmmakers, but I don't think anyone would call it an adventure movie. I happened to watch it again on BluRay tonight and its production value for a film that was mostly shot on location is absolutely astonishing. It manages to be both massively entertaining, but very intelligently deep and critical of many traditional values at the same time.

Again, Ripper's mentioned Aguirre, the Wrath of God. An extraordinary, great movie, but again I don't think anyone would want to call it an 'adventure film'. !!! [Crazy, ironic exclamation marks].

Post edited at 00:49
 Slackboot 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Surely going to a country not much is known about, living with it's people , fighting with them against a common enemy and making the first crossings of 'impossible' deserts is an adventure by any standards. Far more so than say turning up at a mountain, spending months carrying loads and doing repetitive tasks, maybe standing on the top for a few minutes then going home again! I jest a bit but I think Lawrence of Arabia is an adventure on every level. 

As you say the cinematography and production values are astonishing for the time. I suppose it depends what someone means when they say 'adventure'. I guess it is subjective and one mans adventure may be another mans 'walk in the park'.

Slackboot 28 Nov 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

Shackleton's Captain is also worth a watch......... but I expect Mrs. Battymilk is back now!

wercat 28 Nov 2021

I sat down last night in a darkened room and watched 3 hrs of the 1965 Dr Zhivago with barely a break.  It is as powerful now as it was when I first saw it at the age of 13 in about 1970 in a cinema, except that I understand it a bit better now.

I saw Lawrence of Arabia in the cinema with my dad  in the 60s and I agree.

Post edited at 11:03
 Tom Valentine 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

The Man Who Would Be King. Massive adventure which goes off the rails , spectacular settings and great characters.

cb294 28 Nov 2021

But Aguirre is about a guy travelling down a river on a boat, so just what BM requested!

If he instead wanted to watch a film about a guy travelling up a river in a boat, I would recommend Apocalypse Now.

CB

Slackboot 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> The Man Who Would Be King. Massive adventure which goes off the rails , spectacular settings and great characters.

Yes a great adventure that one.

mbh 28 Nov 2021
In reply to ripper:

Was this based, however loosely, on Orellana's voyage to and down the Amazon?

All those pre-modern journeys, right up to Darwin in the Beagle, where people didn't know what they were going into but somehow got there, and sometimes somehow got back and told the rest of us about it, they are what I think of most when I think of adventures.

What was it like to be one of the Vikings in the first voyage that got to Iceland? Or Marco Polo heading east, or a Polynesian heading out into the Pacific?

Rampart 28 Nov 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

Blithely ignoring your 'documentaries' qualification, I liked Into the Wild (it's a true story, if that helps). Has a sort of dreamy, meandering pace, and is consequently quite long, as I recall, but well acted and shot. I think it might still be on Netflix.

mbh 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Rampart:

> I liked Into the Wild (it's a true story, if that helps)

A very good film.

ripper 29 Nov 2021
In reply to mbh:

> Was this based, however loosely, on Orellana's voyage to and down the Amazon?

I have no idea - but from what I've read the making of the movie was quite an 'adventure' in itself, shot entirely on location with the cast and crew climbing up and down mountains, hacking through jungle and riding those rapids on rafts builts by locals. Then you had the volatile relationship between director Herzog and his star, Kinski - who were at each other's throats most of the time, guns pulled, shots fired, threats of murder/suicide, etc

cb294 29 Nov 2021
In reply to mbh:

> Was this based, however loosely, on Orellana's voyage to and down the Amazon?

In part. The story combines events from the trip of Lope de Agiurre (who actually made it to the mouth of the Amazon and then back to Venzuela) with episodes from Francisco de Orellana's trip down the Amazon (about 20 years before the date of the fictitous expedition), and reports from another expedition under Pedro de Ursua who wrote about his attempts to find El Dorado.

Sean Kelly 29 Nov 2021
In reply to wercat:

And to think that there are others raving about Squid Game as a great film beggers belief when compared to Lawrence of Arabia and Dr Zhivago!

Enty 29 Nov 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

> I see your unsolicited recommendation and raise you this: 

Thanks for that. Watched it last night. Bloody gripping.

E

plyometrics 29 Nov 2021
In reply to Enty:

Glad you enjoyed! Never get tired of recommending that one.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...