REVIEW: Mountain Equipment Alpamayo and Fitzroy Jackets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 26 Nov 2021

Among midweight synthetic insulated jackets for winter climbing and all-round mountain use, the Fitzroy has long been a benchmark. Warmer, lighter, and more weatherproof, the new design improves on the old classic. Joining it this season is the women's version, the Alpamayo. In this long-term test we look at both.

Read more

Guy Hurst 26 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

This looks like one of those flagship products some leading outdoor gear companies come up with from time to time, not the every winter weekend workhorse the older models were. It's probably a fantastic product and some people will be able to justify the cost to themselves, but maybe a lot of others won't.

olddirtydoggy 26 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I'll stick my neck out and say the pricetag is just too much. The old version I have is fantastic but there's no way I'd pay that kind of money for a jacket. I'd be interested to see some data on the profit made on a product like this taking into consideration the R&D and all the testing, I'm aware this isn't a huge volume product.

neuromancer 26 Nov 2021
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

The DAS Parka is £420 new, £90 more.

The Nuclei SV is £400, £70 more.

Both of those use proprietary in house materials that make it cheaper to manufacture than the Fitzroy (eg no gore infinitum outer, or the nuclei doesn't even have gold cross core).

It's a lot of money, but it's brand new and once it has good distribution retailers will offer it for less than RRP. 

99ster 29 Nov 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

> The Nuclei SV is £400, £70 more.

Curious to know where you got that price from - it's full RRP is £350 - so that's a £20 difference.
https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/nuclei-sv-parka

RoryBryson 29 Nov 2021
In reply to 99ster:

When I google the Nuclei SV the first link to the Arcteryx website gives the price as 400 euros, so I expect that'll be it.

neuromancer 29 Nov 2021
In reply to 99ster:

Apologies, I misread euros as pounds. That said, give it a few more months...

It's still more expensive than a Fitzroy for a cheaper jacket to make.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...