Flask of tea

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Levy_danny 24 Nov 2021

Has anyone perfected the art of making tea taste okay out of a flask? Mine always tastes not great. Or should I just drink coffee?

Lankyman 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

I drink tea all the time but never from a flask. Satan pisses in flasks of tea ( it's in the Bible). Coffee (ground, brewed in a jug) with a little milk is my essential accompaniment to any walk.

Steve Claw 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Coffee seems to travel better, or hot chocolate.

Rob Exile Ward 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Hmm... pre warm the flask, then two teabags (yes, yes, I know) and fill up with freshly boiled water. Leave for 5 mins, hoik the teabags out with a fork, add milk to taste and voilá! Tastes fine.

PaulJepson 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Are you doing the milk separately? 

In reply to Levy_danny:

I think I read it on here but I've been using a Earl Grey tea bag with boiled water. Leave the tea bag in and add two tea spoons of sugar. Sounds uck, but surprisingly good.

stubbed 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Tea isn't good in a flask. The options are:

- Coffee

- Peppermint tea

- Black tea with a bit of sugar

Nothing else works, I'm afraid.

Jenny C 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Redbush two teabags. Full to 2/3 with boiling water and leave to brew. Then add cold tap water to fill - otherwise it's too hot to drink.

​​​​​

​​​

Rob Exile Ward 24 Nov 2021
In reply to stubbed:

God, what are we coming to? If tea was good enough for the Rock and Ice, it's good enough for me 🙂

Siward 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Skimmed milk and not much of it is the best I can come up with. Mind you, that's my standard tea anyway. 

OP Levy_danny 24 Nov 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

No  all together, the reason this has come about is I'm doing some online training this week with barely any breaks and I've had to   make a flask  of  tea but it's  just  not  great at all! 

Philip 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Instant tea (yes, it exists) or bag plus water from flask and milk from small nalgene.

The milk cooks when kept hot. There is probably an optimum where you let it cool and then put in the flask.

Either way the flask is harder to clean from tea or coffee, so I use milk, bag and hot water. Or Brukit (alpkit) plus water, bag, milk.

colinakmc 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

> No  all together, the reason this has come about is I'm doing some online training this week with barely any breaks and I've had to   make a flask  of  tea but it's  just  not  great at all! 

It won’t taste nearly as good indoors….

More practically, how clean is your flask? Leaving it overnight with a solution of sodium bicarbonate will freshen it up no end. Rinse well and fill with hot beverage of choice!

GEd_83 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

I've found that Redbush/rooibos tea with a teaspoon of maple syrup added tastes the best in a flask

Rick Graham 24 Nov 2021
In reply to stubbed:

> Tea isn't good in a flask. The options are:

>  - Coffee

>  - Peppermint tea

>  - Black tea with a bit of sugar

> Nothing else works, I'm afraid.

I was introduced to root ginger a few years back. It tasted really good .

ranger*goy 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

I tend to sugar a flask of tea. Always brew it strong with a Yorkshire tea bag.

AllanMac 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

The only way to get flask drinks to taste good is hot water only in the flask, so there aren't any flavours to get tainted, and carry tea bags (and/or coffee, hot chocolate) + small Nalgene bottle of fresh milk + spoon separately.

Andy Clarke 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Stick a dram or two of whisky in it. No need for single malt - blended will be fine. As a bonus, the disinfectant properties prevent any lingering taste taint. 

Rog Wilko 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

I think it’s the milk that spoils both tea and coffee in a flask. Take milk separately or use coffeemate. Even better, fill flask with boiling water and take instant coffee and powdered milk to mix in the field. A separate advantage is that your flask doesn’t need washing out. But if that’s too much trouble black tea with sugar is ok in a flask.

squarepeg 24 Nov 2021
In reply to colinakmc:

Oh God, I am supposed to clean my twentieth century flask out properly? All I do is rinse it when I get home. More jobs to be done (sob).

My lazy option of choice is a herbal tea bag chucked in the flask then fill with hot water. 

Babika 24 Nov 2021
In reply to stubbed:

>  - Coffee

>  - Peppermint tea

Hot blackcurrant

Philip 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Also, metal vs glass vacuum flask. I think the metal ruins the tea quicker than glass. And if you leave out the milk as someone says, you get this horrible film that sticks to the side, is hard to clean, and puts bits in your tea.

LastBoyScout 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

> No  all together, the reason this has come about is I'm doing some online training this week with barely any breaks and I've had to   make a flask  of  tea but it's  just  not  great at all! 

Ah - someone I used to work with just made a mug of tea in a huge insulated mug, so it kept warm. I've also seen USB hotplates to plug into your laptop to put a normal mug on!

My wife likes a hot cup of redbush if we go out, but I take a flask of hot water and a couple of tea bags and make it on demand - she doesn't like it over-brewed.

Hooo 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Black Earl Grey for me. It's obviously not as good as a freshly made cup but it's still perfectly drinkable (assuming you like black Earl Grey).

subtle 24 Nov 2021
In reply to stubbed:

>  - Coffee

>  - Peppermint tea

Bovril

65 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Whisky is a good shout for the hill, probably not a good idea for work though. Green tea with a spoonful of honey is my standard, in fact I’m drinking some now, from a flask. A clove or two dropped into black tea transforms it assuming you like that sort of thing.

Neil Williams 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

> Has anyone perfected the art of making tea taste okay out of a flask? Mine always tastes not great. Or should I just drink coffee?

Milk in a separate small flask (e.g. I use a 330ml Klean Kanteen insulated bottle) works for me.  Also never put coffee in a tea flask, you never quite get rid of the taste.  Also make it quite strong.

It's milk that goes ick in flasks, the reason you don't notice it with coffee is because the taste is so strong.

Post edited at 10:08
 Neil Williams 24 Nov 2021
In reply to AllanMac:

> The only way to get flask drinks to taste good is hot water only in the flask, so there aren't any flavours to get tainted, and carry tea bags (and/or coffee, hot chocolate) + small Nalgene bottle of fresh milk + spoon separately.

Tea tastes manky if not made with water immediately off the boil.  Would work for coffee, but coffee tastes fine from a flask.

I'm guessing you're one of those odd people who puts milk in first when making tea in a cup.  Those people will never understand what tea is meant to taste like.  Milk first is only when pouring tea from a pot into china, to prevent cracking.

Post edited at 10:14
 Toerag 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

I dunno about long distance travelling, but I used to make a flask of tea (with milk & sugar) the night before dawn fishing trips. It tasted a bit fruitier than normal but was still good and no problem to clean. Flask was glass.  I'd never recommend taking milk on walks as scouting experience shows it tends to turn to butter from being sloshed around all the time.

In Norway and parts of the alps it's normal for mountain huts to supply hot fruit tea at breakfast for you to put in a flask.

Rampart 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Babika:

>  Hot blackcurrant

This, but with Vimto. Blackcurrant for grownups.

kathrync 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Regular black-tea-with-milk always tastes awful out of a flask to me, even if you add the milk later.

My choices are:
Black lapsang souchong

Rooibos/redbush with a bit of honey

Ginger tea (better made with stem ginger than a teabag) with bit of honey

Hot blackcurrant squash

Hot ginger cordial (when I don't have stem ginger to hand)

gravy 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Deleated bagger:

If you're stooping to the Earl Grey level you might want to consider this alternative because it tastes better:  use about 20 pence worth of copper coins, preferably dull grimey looking ones and one mint imperial, place coins in the flask, pour on boiling water, add mint.  For added flavour use the water from a puddle located in a scrap yard.

Becky E 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

It's the milk that makes flask tea taste funny. If you can keep the milk separate until the point of drinking it, it will be fine.

I quite like flask tea, provided that's what I'm expecting. It's like instant coffee & real coffee: they're different drinks.

Timmd 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

I take the hot water and tea bags and milk separately, and make each cup when I want one. It's 'a nice little ritual' too, but maybe not for a Scottish blizzard or something, in my early teens, we walked up The Band in the Lake District, and it was so windy the hot water poured from my Dad's flask came out horizontally, though when I think of it, complications could happen even if it was already brewed in the flask, unless you drank from it.

Post edited at 12:57
 deepsoup 24 Nov 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

> My lazy option of choice is a herbal tea bag chucked in the flask then fill with hot water. 

That's my option of choice even not being lazy.  When I carry a flask it's mainly so I can have a hot drink to warm up and rehydrate and it's just enough to give the hot water a bit of flavour.

OP Levy_danny 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

I have made black tea in my flask today with a little cup of milk and the tea has been great. (at my desk) I think for the hill I'll get a little bottle. Now to determine how much milk I need for a litre of hot tea ha. 

Thanks for all the suggestions on such a serious topic! 

CantClimbTom 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

It's because the milk is hot for a long time it changes (a bit like UHT changes the taste)

On a hill you really should (maybe: shouldn't!) be drinking Chisky (aka Percy), which is 50:50 Grants Morella Cherry Brandy (or substitute...  Lidl make a very own brand alternative) and traditionally... a non peaty single Malt, but I think that's just a waste, just go for something relatively smooth and easy drinking (Chivas Regal is the gold standard for this drink IMHO, but whatever you have in the cupboard really)  This is not just a drink of elderly red faced toffs and gamekeepers, try a small hipflask of this next time you're out on the hill in foul weather, just keep consumption very slight and not mixed with driving!  You can tolerate a lesser flask of tea, if you have a small sip of Chisky afterwards

PaulJepson 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Yeah as a few others have already said, carry the milk separately in a little bottle. It's always better.

For cold days, Pukka 3 ginger is my go to as it's hot and also gives you a nice spicy kick. 

If you've got a stainless flask, best way I've found to clean it out is citric acid. You can get a box from Wilkos for less than £2 I think. Overnight it in the flask with hot water and it will look brand new.  

ripper 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

milky tea - bleuurgghhh

I drink loads of coffee but not from a flask.

Preferred hill/crag hot drinks for cold weather are:

One ginger and one cinnamon teabag - teaspoon of honey optional

Ribena with a ginger teabag chucked in

Vimto with a ginger teabag chucked in

All much better than a manky stewed version of tea or coffee. 

alan moore 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

I tend to just suffer the satan-piss-flask-tea.

It makes the first fresh cup when you get home taste even better.

Toccata 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

The weight of a Pocket Rocket or JetBoil, 4 tea bags and 100mls milk is less then a flask of tea. Problem solved.

Tom Valentine 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Tik Tok Earl Grey Rooibos.

Or a Cup a Soup ( but without croutons)

dan gibson 25 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

My partner puts two Earl Grey and two English breakfast tea bags, plus freshly cut turmeric and ginger in her flask.

Too strong for me, but she loves it. 

I go for one redbush teabag. 

Sean Kelly 25 Nov 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

For a refreshing drink when in the Alps in summer,  put tea into a metal water bottle with either mint or lemon + sugar to taste. Push into the snow for a few minutes to chill, then drink. Lovely! 

In Scottish winter either hot Vimto or soup!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...