UV proof shirt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MisterPiggy 21 Nov 2021

Hello,

Is there someone out there in UKC-land who could recommend a shirt, long or short sleeves, with a collar I can turn up, that's UV proof please? It's primarily for cycling, but trekking might be nice too. I don't about colour/style, just the UV proofing part.

I'm not having much luck with Google, it's difficult to separate valid reviews from sponsored ones.

Happy Sunday to all,

j

Jenny C 21 Nov 2021
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Most of the Craghopper stuff claims to offer UV protection.

Toby_W 21 Nov 2021
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Maybe have a look at beachwear (uv) sun tops, might fit the bill?

Cheers

Toby

In reply to MisterPiggy:

It's largely determined by the physical nature of the fabric; tight weave to minimise weave interstices that would allow UV to pass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_protective_clothing

https://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-prevention/sun-protection/sun-protec...

OP MisterPiggy 22 Nov 2021
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Thanks for the inputs !

Google helped find the technical info on fabrics, weave, colour - thanks for that.

I hadn't considered beach wear at all, so I'll dig into that. Now occurs to me that the surf world might have something to offer.

Have a good week ! j 😀

LastBoyScout 22 Nov 2021
In reply to MisterPiggy:

I would agree with the comment about beach wear - long sleeve rash vest would cover your requirements, as they have a nice, high collar. I've got an Xcel one that is SPF50, but it's therefore quite thick and you'd get quite sweaty cycling in it, as there's no zip.

If you want something of a more casual fit, then look at the Animal Latero tops - they're crew neck, but otherwise a casual rash vest. I've got 4 of them and love them in the summer.

Otherwise, most outdoors shirts should give an SPF rating on them - pretty sure my Columbia and TNF stuff does.

RX-78 22 Nov 2021
In reply to MisterPiggy:

I have a uv short sleeve hiking shirt that has a collar that unfolds to cover your neck when needed. I will try find out its make, i am traveling at the moment. 

Dave Baker SP5 22 Nov 2021
In reply to MisterPiggy:

For collared, I like the mountain warehouse "isocool" polo shirts.  It looks like the isocool line might just be short sleeve for the polo, but there are others in long sleeve.

For non-collared, I like the mountain warehouse isocool t shirts.

(When I used to hike more, I liked the ex officio line - they have very comfortable loose fitting, very well ventilated, uv proof button down shirts).

OP MisterPiggy 03 Dec 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

The beach wear tip was a good one. I've gone for an O'Neil's rashguard. Since I lather on the 50 grade sunscreen anyway, I decided I didn't need collar.

This whole research project makes me wonder why cycling jerseys are not UV resistant? Pro cyclists must surely suffer skin cancers on their backs from prolonged sun exposure? Anyway, that's a whole other thread.

Thanks for the tips and ideas; Father Christmas is bringing surf gear for the whole family this year 😀

Good weekend to all

LastBoyScout 03 Dec 2021
In reply to MisterPiggy:

> This whole research project makes me wonder why cycling jerseys are not UV resistant? Pro cyclists must surely suffer skin cancers on their backs from prolonged sun exposure? Anyway, that's a whole other thread.

Google "Chris Froome sunburn" - very nasty rash from ultra lightweight jersey not having any protection.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...