Liquid fuel options - Aspen 4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 21 Nov 2021

I have a Coleman 533 (20 YO) and an MSR Whisperlite (2 YO) which are mainly used for fishing trips, winter pike fishing - cold temps, hence why gas is a non-option.

Ive always ran these stoves on petrol. I have a petrol mower and strimmer so always have a can of petrol around, it’s cheap and readily available. The coleman runs fine on it, it’s gets so hot it burns off any blackness on the stove so not too worried about that stove. The whisperlite gets covered in the black soot after one brew then it’s dirty hands disassembling the stove to pack it. I’ve been reading good things about Aspen 4 clean petrol for garden machines and found a local stockist who’s does 5L for £20. Considering changing over to see how it compares to regular unleaded, anyone use it? I’m aware there is also a 2 stoke version of Aspen (Aspen 2) which is blended with 2 stroke oil and NOT the one I need! 

Coleman fuel seems far too expensive but Aspen falls between the cost of petrol and coleman. 

I’ll use 5L over a winter season so it isn’t going to be hanging around long enough to go off.

jimtitt 21 Nov 2021
In reply to wilkie14c:

Panel wipe.

Jenny C 21 Nov 2021
In reply to jimtitt:

We use aspen in gardening tools. Less smelly and also can be stored (even more of an issue with the new petrol) between uses as it doesn't go off.

We've never tried Aspen in the XGK, but I know someone who does and says it's pretty much comparable with Coleman fuel. So well worth trying and please do let us know how you get on with it.

OP wilkie14c 21 Nov 2021
In reply to jimtitt:

naphtha, yes read a few threads mentioning panel wipe/naphtha. comes in about the same price for 5L so might as well stick with Aspen as it’s easy for me to collect a 5L off the shelf 

top cat 21 Nov 2021
In reply to wilkie14c:

Aspen 4 gets my vote.  Been using it for years.

ScraggyGoat 21 Nov 2021
In reply to top cat:

Snap, used for ages in an msr and latterly in a primus omnifuel without any issues.

JimbotheScot 21 Nov 2021
In reply to wilkie14c:

Used aspen for ages in whisperlite and dragonfly but my local garden place stopped selling it so use the Stihl moto4plus which is about the same, works in Zippo hand warmer too

https://www.buxtons.net/stihl-moto4plus-4-stroke-fuel

Post edited at 20:22
 Tigger 21 Nov 2021
In reply to wilkie14c:

I usually just pick up a 5 liter can of  Tetrosyl Pre Wipe Degreaser, it's basically pure Hexane and burns a treat with little to no soot build up. You can order it online or get it from Cromwell Tools (I think).

Post edited at 21:20
 LastBoyScout 23 Nov 2021
In reply to wilkie14c:

I'v never heard of Aspen before, so commenting here as a bookmark for next time I need some petrol for the Coleman.

I tend to run my Omnifuel on gas, though, due to it being more controllable, quieter and safer near small children.

OP wilkie14c 23 Nov 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I’m going to pick a 5L can of Aspen next week, give both the stoves a good clean then give it a go. I’ll be back then to give a verdict here 👍

OP wilkie14c 09 Dec 2021
In reply to wilkie14c:

How do all

A revisit to the thread for an update. Took longer than expected due to 'life' but gotten me a 5L of Aspen 4 and stripped down the 2 stoves for a good cleaning and change over to the new fuel.

Coleman 533
This stove is a monster, loads of youtube videos reviewing, servicing and repairing these stoves and they all say the same thing - BEAST!
I've racked my brains and recall that this was purchased prior to me fist time going over to Ireland for a fishing holiday and I remember watching the highlights of the Gulf war of the ferry so that puts it around 1991. So its seen some life but I reckon it'll outlive me if I continue to look after it. Looking after it isn't even a thing anyway, it just keeps going. Just ordered a new generator tube (£20) which will be its 3rd from memory and I recall replacing the pump assembly maybe 10 years ago. It has been run on unleaded petrol since day 1 and it never really gets that sooty as its very quick to self prime. Still have the grey plastic box it comes in (went through the dishwasher the other day, came up like new!) and the filler/funnel. Fuelled up with the aspen 4 and it was quick to prime and soon into a roaring flame that I've relied on for all these years. Little bit of yellow flame at simmer so indications of the generator tube being coked up (It was filthy inside so just ordered a new one)

MSR Whisperlite International
This was the real tester, sick of dirty hands disassembling this. It gets really sooted up during the priming stage, from the unburnt additives in the petrol. After its first ever strip and clean the Aspen 4 was fuelled up. Priming was the same as ever, takes a min or 2 with some yellow flames but once the valve is opened and the fuel starts vaporising, that blue flame we know and love on the whisperlite did its thing. 

Didn't expect either stove to lose or increase in performance, that isn't what this was about. As can  be seen from the photo, both stoves are remarkably clean after each had been run for 10 minutes. No sooty residue over the hands and I'm now an Aspen 4 convert.

Price check per litre:
Unleaded - £1.50
Aspen 4 - £4.00
Coleman white gas - £9.00 (Go-outdoors)

Prof. Outdoors 09 Dec 2021
In reply to wilkie14c:

Also a fan of Aspen 4 which I used in my Whisperlite and my current Primus Omnifuel.

When I used petrol I used to take a small re-useable bottle with meths in it. Priming with meths is so much better than using petrol.

Original Whisperlite was reliable but sold it as the pump failed and so did the two later model flimsy replacements.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...