Women's winter sleeping bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sarah Ryan 11 Nov 2021

I'm looking to get out more in Scotland this winter, will mostly be camping and would like to have the option for an overnight up high. I'm planning to be knocking around the Cairngorms a fair bit.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a winter bag and/or temperature rating? The dream is the Tundra Pure 180cm -10 or -20. But that bag is priceeeeeeeeey.

I'm a 5'7" about 60kg woman, for reference. Any guidance welcome!

olddirtydoggy 11 Nov 2021
In reply to Sarah Ryan:

My wife uses a lightweight down jacket and down trousers from Cumulus down products in Poland so she can use a lighter bag to sleep in. This means she can wear the down 2 piece before we bed down. I think the bag she uses is a PH Designs autumn bag that goes down to about 0 degrees.

Non of this kit is cheap but the system does mean you can stay warm when not in the bag, allowing more time to be spent outside the tent, assuming it's not battering it down.

ScraggyGoat 11 Nov 2021
In reply to Sarah Ryan:

Unfortunately good bags aren’t cheap.  I’d go for around the -15deg c rating unless you sleep cold. For Scotland avoid a narrow alpine style bags as you will be in your pit for hours and hours so being able to move and wriggle makes a huge difference. If you go the lighter bag but wear clothing route, again a roomier bag helps a bit.

I dont find the extra clothes route help sitting around stargazing in mid winter, if it’s cold enough to need a good bag, the extra layers aren’t warm enough to doss around in for me. 

Some manufactures make to length or short length.

if cost is an issue keep an eye on a popular auction site but accept the bag might be too long.

Post edited at 18:30
 Welsh Kate 11 Nov 2021
In reply to Sarah Ryan:

PHD Designs have a sale on atm, might be worth looking at that, though not much from the Hispar series which is their eye-wateringly expensive but seriously gucci line.

You could always consider getting an overbag and using with an existing sleeping bag.

Wingnut 11 Nov 2021
In reply to Sarah Ryan:

>>I'm a 5'7" about 60kg woman, for reference. Any guidance welcome!

If buying a womens-specific one, check it's actually long enough! (I'm about the same height, and once got sold a women's sleeping mat that turned out to be too short. Annoying enough, but a bag that's too short would be even more annoying, especially if it's cold enough to want the hood done up.)

Dave the Rave 11 Nov 2021
In reply to Wingnut:

> >>I'm a 5'7" about 60kg woman, for reference. Any guidance welcome!

> If buying a womens-specific one, check it's actually long enough! (I'm about the same height, and once got sold a women's sleeping mat that turned out to be too short. Annoying enough, but a bag that's too short would be even more annoying, especially if it's cold enough to want the hood done up.)

Makes sense. My kids had full size bags and when they were little we just tied the bottom to suit with a belt or anything really. Better too long than too short. 

TechnoJim 11 Nov 2021
In reply to Sarah Ryan:

Have a look at Cumulus bags, I'm pretty happy with mine. They do different lengths and custom fits.

Be prepared to splash some cash, even if you have to sacrifice other spending. It'll last you decades if looked after. When you're knackered and the stove's buggered the comfort rating can feel miles off and you'll be glad you got a toastier bag. 

iccle_bully 11 Nov 2021
In reply to Dave the Rave:

My women's specific bag has a slightly different shape and more filling round the feet so it's not just about length. 

Annoyingly, the last time I looked, many of the overseas made brands didn't sell the longer women's specific bags in the UK. 

Andypeak 11 Nov 2021
In reply to Sarah Ryan:

I can highly recommend the Simond range of bags from Decathlon if you are on a budget. If you have got an infinite budget available you certainly can buy nicer bags (Cumulus are brilliant) but the Simond ones are the best value I've ever used and genuinely are really good. They also use ethical down unlike some of the real budget options. 

Dave the Rave 11 Nov 2021
In reply to iccle_bully:

> My women's specific bag has a slightly different shape and more filling round the feet so it's not just about length. 

> Annoyingly, the last time I looked, many of the overseas made brands didn't sell the longer women's specific bags in the UK. 

The problem is I think, that there’s nowadays too much choice. Retailers can’t simply stock every size as it’s not profitable.

I grew up with an Argos sleeping bag with no zip baffle and held tightly around your neck all night. Terrier dogs are the answer.

Buy a terrier and get it to go to the bottom of the bag. Their warmth and appreciation is amazing

Šljiva 11 Nov 2021
In reply to Sarah Ryan:

I have a pretty serious cumulus one I might be tempted to sell, used for the grand total of one night. Send me a message if interested and I’ll dig it out and check the exact specs… 

TurnipPrincess 11 Nov 2021
In reply to Wingnut:

What make was the sleeping mat, if I may ask? I am 5'2" and would love to have a shorter mat 😂

TurnipPrincess 11 Nov 2021

Down side is that they are absolutely nuts!

LastBoyScout 11 Nov 2021
In reply to Wingnut:

> >>I'm a 5'7" about 60kg woman, for reference. Any guidance welcome!

> If buying a womens-specific one, check it's actually long enough! (I'm about the same height, and once got sold a women's sleeping mat that turned out to be too short. Annoying enough, but a bag that's too short would be even more annoying, especially if it's cold enough to want the hood done up.)

An excellent tip.

I tend to sleep face down, which means that if the bag isn't long enough, my toes are rammed in the end or I'm pushed out of the top - both of which are cold and uncomfortable.

LastBoyScout 11 Nov 2021
In reply to TurnipPrincess:

Vango do their Trek 3 range in short (122cm), compact (160cm), standard (183cm) or long (195cm) lengths.

Wingnut 12 Nov 2021
In reply to TurnipPrincess:

Thermarest. Can't remember which model, just remember being hassled to the point of despair by the sales bloke in Outside and really, really wanting to just get a replacement mat and eff off back to North Lees. It's still in the depths of the kit cupboard somewhere. The depressing bit is that the sales bloke was shorter than me and still went "breasts = short-arse".

In reply to Wingnut:

> The depressing bit is that the sales bloke was shorter than me

Maybe being short, he thought the mat was long enough...

Let me know if you could use a POE Ether Thermo W (I think); I have one from TKM.

SFM 13 Nov 2021
In reply to Sarah Ryan:

Welsh Kates suggestion about an over bag is a really good one. I’m a cold sleeper and use a MHW 2 season synthetic summer bag over a PHD minimus summer bag and it’s seriously toastie. It has the added advantage of preventing the down bag getting damp from condensation. 
One thing to be mindful of is that the outer bag needs to be roomy enough to let the inner bag’s down loft fully. 

Wingnut 13 Nov 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

Already Ok as regards sleeping mats at the mo - got one of those alpkit ones that requires hand-shredding amounts of cpr to blow up, but at least it's nice and comfy once you *have* blown it up!

ben b 14 Nov 2021
In reply to Sarah Ryan:

I would get in the last of the PHD sale today if you can (early Christmas present?), and think about the Simond ones if not. Definitely don't skimp on the mat though - Mrs B was a famously cold sleeper on thermarests until I got her an Expedition Down Airmat. Lighter alternatives are available.

b

OP Sarah Ryan 15 Nov 2021

Ha! I think this is the way

OP Sarah Ryan 15 Nov 2021

Thanks so much for all the advice and recommendations here everyone. I'm looking at the PHD Hispar which, even in the sale, is *pricy* but, as TechnoJim said, with care I'm hoping it'll last me the rest of my winter camping life. Might even become a family heirloom. I'll do a bit of weighing up this PM. Good to know that -15C or thereabouts is the right temperature point too.

Now, about the dog...

Dave the Rave 15 Nov 2021
In reply to Sarah Ryan:

> Thanks so much for all the advice and recommendations here everyone. I'm looking at the PHD Hispar which, even in the sale, is *pricy* but, as TechnoJim said, with care I'm hoping it'll last me the rest of my winter camping life. Might even become a family heirloom. I'll do a bit of weighing up this PM. Good to know that -15C or thereabouts is the right temperature point too.

> Now, about the dog...

Dogs will require a full zip that can be unzipped from the bottom to allow them to breathe/escape. Don’t buy a bag with a half zip if a dog is to share the bag too

Andypeak 16 Nov 2021
In reply to Sarah Ryan:

> Now, about the dog...

Dogs are pretty easy. Cut down foam roll mat and then chuck your down jacket over them. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...