Boot sizing: toe space

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 05 Nov 2021

Please see photo. Apologies for foot...but is there too much two space or what? Should I go a half size down (unfortunately shop does not have the next half size down in stock).

scotthldr 05 Nov 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

The outside of your big toe is at the extreme edge of the foot bed, and that’s without a sock on. Take a pair of the socks that your going to wear most often to the shop and try on together. At the end of the day only you can decide what comfortably fits your feet.

Dave the Rave 05 Nov 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Looks a bit big for me.

I push my socked foot into the unlaced boot so the big toe touches the end of the boot. Then if I can get more than a finger between my heel and the heel of the boot, it’s too big and will give heel lift and blisters.

It’s a rule of finger not thumb

OP Flinticus 05 Nov 2021
In reply to scotthldr:

Thanks for replying. The width is not an issue and the boot has a great lacing system, almost like a climbing shoe and takes my large big toe bunion no problem. Wearing the boots clambering over coastal rocks and walking for a couple of hours was fine as was walking along lochsides but over rough trackless ground and ascending for a couple of hours gave my heel a hotspot. I measured the insole against my other (sole now worn) approach shoe and its slightly bigger / more space in the toe box. That made me think the problem lay with the toe space. In the shop I was told a tumb width was 'standard'.

VictorM 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

That made me think the problem lay with the toe space. In the shop I was told a tumb width was 'standard'.

Which is more or  less correct. The problem is that there is no 'standard'. Every foot is different and every person's preference is different. One person wants a full thumb width, for the other a pinky width is enough. 

What kind of boot are we talking about? If it's a general hiking/trekking boot then I would be quite annoyed with a hotspot after a couple of hours. If it's a mountaineering boot and all you develop after a hotspot at the heel after a couple of hours of hiking in them then I wouldn't be all that surprised, especially if they are brand new. 

Mark Haward 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

You may find this helpful:

When you put the boot on kick the heel against the ground so your heel moves to the very back of the boot. Then tie up the laces paying special attention to the mid section that holds the foot towards the back of the boot. 

Babika 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Mark Haward:

Great advice.

I was told this for skiing boots and now do it for mountaineering boots as well. 

It makes a big difference

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...