Waterproof gloves.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 05 Nov 2021

I've given up in my quest for the Holy Grail of waterproof gloves that are actually waterproof. I have around 10 pairs purchased over the years, all of which are not actually waterproof. One of the common problems of nearly waterproof gloves is how difficult it is to remove or put them back on when they're wet inside. 

So my solution is this; I want to try a pair of thin, light totally waterproof (nylon?) gloves or mitts that fit over any of my 10 pairs of nearly waterproof gloves, so that when I need to I can just whip them off, and then whip off the nearly waterproof gloves which would be dry. Any recommendations?

And yes, I have tried marigolds.

Post edited at 10:12
 Babika 05 Nov 2021
In reply to Fredt:

The Skytec Argon builders gloves seem very popular for wet ice or rock. I have a couple of pairs. 

For £5 worth a punt

dread-i 05 Nov 2021
In reply to Fredt:

Army goretex over mitts might fit the bill.

https://www.goarmy.co.uk/products/british-army-mtp-goretex-mittens

Or possibly some of those plastic gloves they give away at petrol stations. Your hands will sweat, but they will go in and out of your other gloves easily.

nniff 05 Nov 2021
In reply to Fredt:

The answer to wet hands or wet gloves is to wear a thin one-size-fits-all liner.  You rarely need to take those off when you're wearing bigger gloves, and even if you do, they're easy enough to get back on.  They don't stick to the linings of bigger gloves.

FWIW, I find that BD's waterproof liner works better than Gore's, so BD Punishers for me - which seem to be in short supply 

LastBoyScout 05 Nov 2021
In reply to Fredt:

My Mum had a very nice pair of Salomon ski gloves that got a bit wet from melted snow. My cousin tried to help dry them out by turning them inside out - unfortunately, we've never been able to get them back the right way and they went in the bin.

Back on topic, I've had several pairs of gloves that claim to be waterproof (mainly Porelle lined, one pair of eVent) but either aren't or just aren't breathable enough and the inside wets anyway...

...with the exception of 2 pairs of GoreTex gloves I've got, one for snowboarding and the other for winter motorbiking. Both big, thick things, but both have kept my hands warm and dry.

I'd definitely look for a pair of GoreTex ones as a start point.

CantClimbTom 05 Nov 2021
In reply to Fredt:

Gloves for doing what exactly??

OP Fredt 05 Nov 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Gloves for doing what exactly??

Mainly hiking, especially in torrential rain. I think one of the issues is the constant run of water down the sleeves onto the gloves. A bit like holding them under the tap.

angry pirate 05 Nov 2021
In reply to Fredt:

Gloves never stay waterproof for long. Would mitts work for you?

I layer extremities goretex overmitts over glove /mitt combos to have proper dry hands.

Have a look at Tuff Bags.

girlymonkey 05 Nov 2021
In reply to Fredt:

I just carry several pairs of gloves each day. Usually around 4 pairs in winter. Once one pair wet through, they go in the bottom of the rucksack and a new pair go on.

I reckon waterproof gloves, like waterproof footwear, is a fallacy. There is too much movement and too many seams for them ever to be really waterproof. All they do is slow down the ingress of water. Which is fine, you just accept this and take enough to get you through the day.

nniff 05 Nov 2021
In reply to Fredt:

> Mainly hiking, especially in torrential rain. I think one of the issues is the constant run of water down the sleeves onto the gloves. A bit like holding them under the tap.

Gloves go inside sleeves - for the very reason above.  If your sleeves are too short or the cuffs are too small, you need a different jacket.

If you're climbing, with your arms up, and there's a waterfall coming the other way, then it's going to get difficult.

nniff 05 Nov 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I reckon waterproof gloves, like waterproof footwear, is a fallacy. There is too much movement and too many seams for them ever to be really waterproof. 

Most waterproof gloves get round this by having a single piece waterproof Gore or similar insert between the outside and inside layers of the gloves.  Pulling the inner inside-out in a pair of gloves is therefore ill-advised because you have to get both the warm liner and the waterproof liner back in place, blind, and without tearing it.  Wearing a separate liner glove makes it easier to take a clammy hand out without taking the liner with it

In reply to Fredt:

> I want to try a pair of thin, light totally waterproof (nylon?) gloves or mitts that fit over

I did this for hill walking for decades. Worked very well. All mine are old now, or gone, so can’t really recommend specific models I’m afraid now. However, brands I use(d) - Extremities, North Cape, Marmot, and a.n.other (can’t remember now), all were mitts for convenience of easy in/off. All started as waterproof and lasted years before use made them not so waterprooof, so maybe check out their latest offerings?Remember to over size if you are going to wear full winter level of insulated gloves as inners.

The Extremities ones were my favourite, for comfort, fit, ease of use, etc, and I continued to use them as outers even after they were leaking like a sieve in warmer conditions accepting my hands got wet.!! 

I remember buying some with a “liner”, but disposing of the liner and using my own gloves within. Allowed more flexibility with type of inner glove used depending on whether I needed insulation, dexterity or whatever.

I used to carry two thin waterproof mitt outers and two inner gloves for all my poor weather walking so had two sets in case one became impractical. 

Another thought. I’ve also got, still, two different Montane models of waterproof gloves that have pile linings. They have different levels of insulation and different waterproofing methods (one uses a pertex outer, the other a liner within). They have always been very easy to put on/take off with soaking wet hand (even before they let in the water themselves). I frequently wore a very thin liner glove within them though where I needed to protect hands from cold after I had removed them to do things. Both these Montane gloves are my go to favourites of all time if it is cold enough.

Post edited at 14:47
 CantClimbTom 05 Nov 2021
In reply to angry pirate:

> Gloves never stay waterproof for long. Would mitts work for you?

> I layer extremities goretex overmitts over glove /mitt combos to have proper dry hands.

> Have a look at Tuff Bags.

Absolutely!!

Use them over your gloves

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/gloves-mitts/gore-tex-gloves-mitts/tuff-bags/

Either over the sleeves if hands/arms up for climbing or under/inside sleeves if walking. I can't see how you can get any better than this

Post edited at 15:10
In reply to CantClimbTom:

That will be the updated version of the one I had and used the most. They were great so if the latest is as good the OP can’t go wrong!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...