Feeding dogs whilst out walking/running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 28 Oct 2021

Is there any general guidance on when/whether to feed dogs whilst out walking or running? 

Our dog normally gets fed around 9am and 5pm and I always wait a few hours at least between food and exercise. He’s gradually building up his distance (as am I).

We’ve been walk-running together more recently, up to about 10 miles, going at a pretty slow pace, stopping to look at boulders etc. He seems fine over that distance and doesn’t seem to need food, but I’d not really thought about when (or if) he might start needing me to take some with me.

My assumption is that he’ll be fine as long as he gets plenty of water and some treats for any kind of distance I’m realistically going to do (up to 15 miles maybe) but I thought I would check to see what others do.

It’s largely off road, off lead running so he’ll be going way further than me.

JoshOvki 28 Oct 2021
In reply to James Malloch:

I run with my dog (border collie) up to 1/2 marathon (because that is enough for me, he is more than happy to keep going). Apart from extra water + bowl or make sure we are near water sources for him to drink out of I don't take anything more than poo bags for him. Never seemed to slow down, or had any issues.

Give him a bit of extra grub once we finish whilst I snack, on long walks I will take extra food with him and if I eat he has something, but they are full days rather than a couple of hours running.

I normally take some snacks for my German Shepherd if we head into the Lakes. Anything up to 10 miles he'll be fine on a biscuit and water. 

My mum likes to make him ham sandwiches which are always well received!!

Dave the Rave 28 Oct 2021

A word of caution. Although treats are fine to keep up the dogs energy levels, ( mine has what I have, some of my butties, pork pie, flapjack etc) feeding them a big meal during or straight after heavy exercise can result in a twisted bowel in some dogs.

My father in law had a large Border Collie which sadly died quite uncomfortably as a result of it exercising with a full gut.

I think it more applies to larger dogs with chests a lot bigger than the waist, or so I was told, and stand to be corrected on.

Jenny C 28 Oct 2021
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

> My mum likes to make him ham sandwiches which are always well received!!

Yes but who gets to eat them, the dog or you?

toad 28 Oct 2021
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Yes, I've heard that (from vets). Big dogs and deep chested dogs, like greyhounds and pointers especially. I feed mine after they've been out and had a chance to chill for a bit

Post edited at 19:42
 Dave the Rave 28 Oct 2021
In reply to toad:

> Yes, I've heard that (from vets). Big dogs and deep chested dogs, like greyhounds and pointers especially. I feed mine after they've been out and had a chance to chill for a bit

Me too. I take my collie for a pint and bag of cheese and onion to chill her out

Timmd 28 Oct 2021
In reply to Jenny C:

> Yes but who gets to eat them, the dog or you?

That's what I wondered, bless his mum either way, it can seem like once they become mothers, some channel it into anybody and any creature. My own late Mum wondered about my brother's cat being cold, when they went to NZ for NY and left the central heating off.

Post edited at 21:42
 Bottom Clinger 28 Oct 2021

What breed of dog? On a long day I might take a handful of kibble for my springers  lunch. Other than that he eats shit, inlcudung my own given half a chance. But at least I have a clean arse. And eco friendly. 

OP James Malloch 29 Oct 2021

Thanks for all the responses, they seem in line with what I’ve been thinking.

Will hold off taking anything on runs, and if we plan a big day out walking I’ll take a bit for when we stop for lunch as well (though not a full meal).

He’s a medium sized working cocker and as I mentioned, he doesn’t seem to care about food on any of the things we have already done. He just wants to keep running and sniffing. 

He is a bit funny with food - some days he will wolf it all down, other days he won’t eat at all until the evening. so before anything big I’ll try to make sure he’s had a decent meal 2-3 hours before we head out anywhere to ensure he’s got plenty of energy in him.

Justaname 29 Oct 2021

I have a 13kg (medium?) Sprocker who I run with, she normally gets fed in the morning and evening and wolfs it down.

If we're going first thing then no food but they get regular treats either as I'm calling them back to go on lead, or just because she probably needs one (every 30 minutes?). Then they get fed 30 minutes to an hour after we've got back, normally once she's settled down.

Otherwise I'll wait at least an hour after feeding them before going out for a run. 

Post edited at 13:53
In reply to Timmd:

Thankfully I get my own sandwiches as well and am not left to fight it out!!!

monkey man 30 Oct 2021

There is such a syndrome called working dog hypoglycaemia, where their blood sugar levels go so low they fit/seizure uncontrollably. Whilst not common I have seen this and something to be aware of. Often not obvious signs of slowing up before either. As previously said a large meal mid run not sensible either, personally I take some treats as a half way house. 

George Ormerod 30 Oct 2021

I think the consensus of this thread is right. Dogs are hugely more efficient endurance athletes than us and at our pace can go all day on one feed. We have 2 old sled dogs (fired for laziness as it happens) and their normal working day was 40km with food in the evening. Even a trained sausage dog has done ultra events. Having said that a few snacks or some of your food in the day does no harm. Happy dog running 😃

Timmd 30 Oct 2021
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

> Thankfully I get my own sandwiches as well and am not left to fight it out!!!

Coolio. Make the most of while she's around.

(I lost mine age 33, but nothing was left unsaid.)

Post edited at 14:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...