Walk below Seven Sisters at sea level

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 oldie 24 Oct 2021

I'd like to walk below the cliffs between Cuckmere and Eastbourne (Cow Gap) in either direction. Looking on the internet I think its quite often done but the descriptions were mainly to start or finish about midway at Birling Gap. One recommended time was starting within two hours after high tide but just for Birling Gap to Cuckmere (I wonder if this is earlier than necessary). I'm a reasonably fast walker and used to slippery rocks so would hope it would take no more than about 4 to 5 hours.

Thanks in advance for beta, especially regarding timing in relation to tides.

Trangia 24 Oct 2021
In reply to oldie:

Yes, I did it about 15 years ago. It took us 4/5 hours. The most important thing is to get your tides right because there is NO ESCAPE apart from Birling Gap, so being cut off by the tide is a serious concern.

Keep well away from the bottom of the cliffs, they are very unstable, and chalk/stone fall is a constant threat. You'll need a long tide to be able to do this.

Then there is the constant threat of idiots throwing stones over the cliffs from above, I think if I did it again, I'd wear a helmet.

There have been some massive cliff falls in recent months, particularly to the section under Belle Tout where a huge section has collapsed. The sea is still stained white from this, and it looks as though there is more to follow. I walked up the steep path from Bedes School playing fields last week to the Bomber Command Memorial, and noticed that the sea below Beachy Head was stained white suggesting recent cliff fall.

Be careful scrambling on the boulders between the base of the cliffs and the light house at low tide, they are very slimy with sea weed and general green gunge. The thought of slipping and getting your foot stuck in a crack on a rising tide doesn't bear thinking about!

It's great fun and doable in calm weather on a low tide, but because of the increasing risk of cliff fall I think it's a lot more serious than when I did it.

There were quite a lot of wrecked cars from suicides along the foot of the cliffs then, rather sombre, but these may have been removed by now.

If you go for it, the Coast Guard ask if you would call them when you start and when you finish.

OP oldie 25 Oct 2021
In reply to Trangia:

Thanks, very useful. I've now had a look at some of the reports and images of recent rockfalls to the east of Birling Gap and they are quite impressive. If I do the walk soon I'll possibly just do the part from Cucksmere to BG, particularly as I have to use public transport from London to be at the start to fit in with the tides with shorter daylight hours.

I'll certainly contact the Coast Guard. After finishing a long easy climbing traverse this summer we met a guy who'd been sent out to check a report, presumably from a kayak/sailing boat, that some walkers were in difficulty below the cliffs. It was probably about us. He wasn't at all put out, and pleased to know there was no problem, but I'd hope to avoid unnecessarily inconveniencing anyone in the future.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...