lakes crag suggestion please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 philipjardine 14 Oct 2021

tomorrow (Friday) looks lovely weather.  I am coming to the lakes with a friend who has never climbed out doors.  We are are driving up from the south and heading towards Coniston and should arrive early afternoon.  Any crag suggestions for something no harder than v diff, severe range, quick approach, on the way ish to Coniston? left to my own devices I would probably head somewhere like Middlefell buttress but the hive mind may have better ideas.

Rog Wilko 14 Oct 2021
In reply to philipjardine:

Upper Scout Crag, Gt Langdale. Several nice V Diffs multi pitch. 10-15 min walk from New Dungeon Gill car park. Descent needs care with a novice. Even a Mod there for easy starter. Top belays can be a bit scarce.

edit  the Lower crag is closer to the road. Only single pitch, but very polished. Upper much better experience all round.

Post edited at 17:50
OP philipjardine 14 Oct 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

thanks Rog

C Witter 14 Oct 2021
In reply to philipjardine:

I think Roger is right that Langdale is the most obvious suggestion and Upper Scout or Raven are good choices. However, you could head to the Duddon for Wallowbarrow and then go over the pass to Coniston via Little Langdale, as another option.

Tony Buckley 14 Oct 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

That's a good shout.  Be a lovely spot on an autumn afternoon.

T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...