Interesting grip related health article

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://theconversation.com/how-strong-your-grip-is-says-a-lot-about-your-h...

"The human hand is remarkable. Not only does it allow us to throw, grab, climb and pick things up, it can also be a measure of health. Using hand-grip strength – which assesses the amount of force a person can generate with their grip – researchers can not only understand a person’s strength, they can also know the rate a person is ageing and even diagnose certain health conditions, such as heart disease and cancer."

Now I in no way encourage anyone to diagnose themselves with anything from this article .  

I just think it's very interesting .....

I'm researching grip , as I've maxed out my grip strengthener and came across the article .

AP

dunc56 13 Oct 2021
In reply to Archmagos_Dominus:

Yes, we have heard your grip strength is second to none. Ahem. 

In reply to dunc56:

> Yes, we have heard your grip strength is second to none. Ahem. 

I never know how to take your comments .

A dig or a joke ?

dread-i 13 Oct 2021

Does that just apply to normal members of the public? If one trains grip strength, then would that skew the results?

"Either way, a strong handshake may offer more information about you than you may realise."

One of the strongest handshakes I ever experienced was from a rather rotund gentleman. He was of the opinion, that if he talked loudly and crushed hands, he would dominate the conversation. Which is quite useful, if you're talking b0ll*x, and getting paid a high day rate.

profitofdoom 13 Oct 2021
In reply to dread-i:

> .....One of the strongest handshakes I ever experienced was from a rather rotund gentleman. He was of the opinion, that if he talked loudly and crushed hands, he would dominate the conversation........

I've met, and suffered from, these handshake bone crushers. What's wrong with them? I'm sick of them anyway

Arms Cliff 13 Oct 2021
In reply to profitofdoom:

> I've met, and suffered from, these handshake bone crushers. What's wrong with them? I'm sick of them anyway

one potential solution discussed here from 1:30  youtube.com/watch?v=hpATbCRZmos&

girlymonkey 13 Oct 2021
In reply to dread-i:

One of my favourite things with Covid is that we now have a legitimate excuse not to shake hands/ hug people to greet them. A nice smile, polite verbal greeting etc works just fine and much harder for people to try and play power games. (Although I actually quite like that as a tiny woman I can often pretty much match the power handshakes. They never quite expect it! I'd still rather just not play the games though!)

profitofdoom 13 Oct 2021
In reply to Arms Cliff:

> one potential solution discussed here from 1:30  youtube.com/watch?v=hpATbCRZmos&

Thanks for that, I really enjoyed it! Especially the "drop down dead tactic", and "you go home and practice on 5 bananas"

profitofdoom 13 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> One of my favourite things with Covid is that we now have a legitimate excuse not to shake hands/ hug people to greet them......

Me too, I hate handshakes and hugs with strangers with my OCD (e.g. if I'm alone in a lift and someone gets on, I'll usually hold my breath till I get off, or get off at the next floor and wait for the next lift, to avoid infections, and this was pre-Covid), I usually dread them

Cobra_Head 13 Oct 2021

I read/watch/heard something about grip strength being a good indicator of general health about four years ago.

I was so intrigued that I bought a "grip-o-meter" (dynamometer), we had great fun testing everyone in our clubs grip strength, it turned a bit competitive!!

£15.85 from Ebay, (it's the same as the ladies in the articles), I made a cover to be able to measure fingers only grip.

I even have a spreadsheet of the contest results, it might be interesting to revisit and see what's happened in the last four years.

Post edited at 14:20
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Thanks for that.

I've just purchased one for 7.49 with delivery.

Measures up to 130kg of force .

Just what I'm after.

AP

Andy Gamisou 13 Oct 2021
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Me too, I hate handshakes and hugs with strangers 

I hate them with close relatives too (spouse excepted).  On a wedding event a few years ago my brother in law tried to give me a "man hug". It's true what it says on certain signs next to tills in small shops and pubs: "f*ck off" does offend.

Cobra_Head 15 Oct 2021

130kg should be plenty, our club record was 71.1kg for full hand grip, and 36.1kg finger tips only.

Enjoy, if you've got competitive club members, one of these and a couple of beers makes for a fun night.

CantClimbTom 15 Oct 2021

Interesting article, thanks. But it doesn't mention though that this can work in the other direction, that grip training can improve overall health, of particular note and well studied is reducing systolic (the top number) in people with hypertension (https://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/news/20041008/handgr...)

> I'm researching grip , as I've maxed out my grip strengthener and came across the article .

> AP

Have you looked into Captains of Crush?  (usually abbreviated as "CoC" but  FFS don't write that on a forum as it acts as a troll magnet)  which are a range of grippers that start off with silly easy and gradually range to -- so ******* hard only 5 people have ever closed one under official conditions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captains_of_Crush_Grippers

Don't know what stupidity lead to it but somehow I have a second gripper at strength "T"  (Trainer, 100lbs) sitting on top of my kitchen cupboard unused not needed still shrink wrapped. Happy to post it to you in return for you donating £5 or more to St Francis hospice (https://www.sfh.org.uk/). T is probably just above most average grippers but still in the not-ridiculous range, don't know where you are with grip strength currently, it's always useful to have a graduated set of warmup grippers though so probably useful for you anyway. PM me if you want it posted to you, it'd free up space in my kitchen if you do

nathan79 16 Oct 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

I bought the number #1 and #2 CoCs many moons ago (you didn't get a trainer model back then). Did much more forearm and grip work back then, and worked a more physical job. Found the #1 easy from the off, could close the #2 though it needed more effort. I can still do the #1at any given moment but need a few weeks effort to close the #2 again.

They're handy tools, quite a specific strength but good to have in amongst other grip stuff. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...