Running training book/resources

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 11 Oct 2021

Could someone recommend me a good running training book? If it matters, I want to focus on distance rather than speed (though I would like to be faster). I've already read one on strength and conditioning training for endurance runners, but I'm thinking more about something outlining types of run and how to actually create a multi-month training schedule heading towards a goal distance (not a race).

Very happy to receive any tips for other resources to do this (e.g. websites etc.), I must confess I am being lazy and haven't done any research yet - but I'm sure there is a wealth of knowledge on here.

I contemplated researching coaches but think a book would be a decent starting point for me.

I'm aspiring to run an ultra marathon, say 50-80km, in the next 9 months. I've run a few marathons before, once this year.

Many thanks

More-On 11 Oct 2021
In reply to elliot.baker:

I have found taking bits from both Jason Koop's Training Essentials for Ultrarunning and Johnston and House's Traing for the Uphill Athlete has worked for me.

They don't always agree, but that just spurs further reading and review of your programme...

Garethza 11 Oct 2021
In reply to More-On:

> Training for the Uphill Athlete has worked for me.

+1

mountainbagger 11 Oct 2021
In reply to GDes:

This is a great book, and I have it myself. If the OP is prepared to read more than one book then I'd recommend it. I think the other suggestions on this thread so far are more ultra running specific though.

In reply to More-On:

>  Training for the Uphill Athlete has worked for me.

+2 likewise 

greg_may_ 11 Oct 2021
In reply to elliot.baker:

Hal Koerner's Field Guide to Ultrarunning is quite a good read. 

T-F-U-A is excellent though.  Has some similarities to T-F Modern Alpinism, but outside of the strength sessions its a very different book.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...