UK-made dyneema bags?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 euan maharg 08 Oct 2021

Anyone know of UK manufacturers who make dyneema packs? Looking for a super simple 40/45 ltr pack for multi-day mixed routes. Tough - tough enough to become a family heirloom. 

See cilogear, hyperlight etc...
Thanks

PaulJepson 08 Oct 2021
 gethin_allen 08 Oct 2021
In reply to euan maharg:

> Anyone know of UK manufacturers who make dyneema packs? Looking for a super simple 40/45 ltr pack for multi-day mixed routes. Tough - tough enough to become a family heirloom. 

> See cilogear, hyperlight etc...

> Thanks

My friends experience of dyneema packs (golite) demonstrated that they are anything but tough. I know this brand focuses on weight savings but this bag fell to bits with the slightest encouragement and I'm not sure dyneema is really the material for toughness.

Wil Treasure 08 Oct 2021
In reply to euan maharg:

Built to Send look pretty solid. Not dyneema, but UK made.

Roberttaylor 08 Oct 2021
In reply to euan maharg:

There's someone who used to work for Aiguille Alpine who has set up making lightweight packs. I can't remember the name, annoyingly, but someone will be along soon I'm sure; their stuff looked good. 

In reply to Roberttaylor:

Atom Packs maybe? There's also Summiteer.

Tigger 09 Oct 2021
In reply to pancakeandchips:

Summiteer are definitely not light weight! Very robust and comfy though.

In reply to Tigger:

Looking at the Cilogear website the unstripped weight of their 30L worksack is about the same as the Summiteer crag rocket.

PaulJepson 09 Oct 2021
In reply to gethin_allen:

My experience of a Hyperlite dyneema bag has been entirely positive.  

Toerag 11 Oct 2021
In reply to gethin_allen:

> My friends experience of dyneema packs (golite) demonstrated that they are anything but tough. I know this brand focuses on weight savings but this bag fell to bits with the slightest encouragement and I'm not sure dyneema is really the material for toughness.

The problem is that although Dyneema / Spectra / UHMW PE is more abrasion resistant than other plastics of the same thickness, it's increased tensile strength means that it gets used in thinner diameters which are less abrasion resistant than the plastics normally used.  This is very prevalent in angling where anglers have moved to using UHMW PE braided lines.  Traditional monofilament in 30lb breaking strain would be 0.4-0.45mm thick, 30lb UHMW PE is about 0.2mm thick. So people have moved from using 30lb mono to 30lb braid then wonder why it snaps instantly in snags - it's described as 'brittle'.  It also doesn't stretch, and thus subjects things to high peak loads than stretchier plastics - witness the 'don't use Dyneema slings to attach yourself to belays you're not permanently hanging from' mantra.  In fishing terms, it's why hooks pull out or the braided line snaps when the fish shake their heads - the peak force previously absorbed by the mono isn't. (Anglers reading this - step down a rod class or two when moving to using braid i.e. use a 15lb class rod instead of a 30lb class one - the softer rod will absorb the headshakes the old 30lb class one won't.)

Post edited at 12:25
 maxsmith 11 Oct 2021
In reply to euan maharg:

I'm not aware of any uk based manufacturers so you would be looking at something custom (i.e. Atom packs) which will probably end up very expensive.  Might be worth asking around on the /myog and /ultralight Reddit pages for second hand bags or find someone who would make one to order.

If you are handy with a sewing machine the cheapest option would be to make it yourself.  I made myself a 30-35l pack out of VX21 and it weighs in at 360g.  Also, dyneema fabric comes in a variety of thicknesses so make sure you choose something robust.  Good luck

PaulJepson 11 Oct 2021
In reply to euan maharg:

If you are thinking of the import costs of a US pack, it might be worth holding your horses until Black Friday. From memory, Hyperlite often do a 20% off deal which cancels out the import duty. 

I'm sure I'll get some downvotes for suggesting it as well but I have had some success with asking US cottage industry to mark items at a lower value or as a gift to make the duty less brutal. 

I got the Southwest in the thicker material and it really is the best backpack I've ever used. I came across a few on the Appalachian Trail and everyone loved them (one chap was on the last of his triple crown, so his pack had done upwards of 5000 miles). As soon as I finished with my dodgy 90s Karimor pack I picked one up. 

Graham 13 Oct 2021
In reply to euan maharg:

Not based in the UK, but John is English living in the US:

https://www.alpineluddites.com/

Nice guy, very busy... 

Updated to add: this Winnie the Pooh mug is fantastic  https://www.alpineluddites.com/collections/alpine-luddites/products/pooh-mu...

Post edited at 01:04
 john campbell 13 Oct 2021
In reply to Graham:

Thanks Graham. 

john campbell 13 Oct 2021
In reply to euan maharg:

Hi euan,

I can build you a bespoked alpine climbing sac in 8 oz woven UHMWP . simple or complex as you need. here is a recent one from a few weeks ago, about 30 L. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTjCsXBM_f9/

with all my packs, they are custom fitted and options are up to you.

regards,

JC

OP euan maharg 17 Oct 2021
In reply to john campbell:

Hi John,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm after a 40ltr minimum so I'll take a look at your site and insta. I've seen your packs before and they look excellent! It's likely a bit of an investment for me so may be a few months before I make an order but having used my mate's dyneema pack, I'm sold on it.

Hope business is going well.

Euan

LG-Mark 17 Oct 2021
In reply to euan maharg:

How about "Built to Send" packs?

I think Adrian Trendall in the Cuillins rates his..

https://www.builttosend.com/

Graham 24 Oct 2021
In reply to euan maharg:

My friend just told me about this company: https://cimoro.com/

Dunno if they have what you are looking for but they are UK based

john campbell 17 Nov 2021
In reply to euan maharg:

60l dyneema pack for a customer modeled after the karrimor alpinist. see the details here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWY1NOIFOOy/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...