Fuel Shortage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tallie 02 Oct 2021

I could’t see a thread on this - apologies if I’ve missed it. 
Having followed government advice to only fill up when you need it we now only have enough fuel to get to our closest fuel station. We were supposed to be meeting friends for a walk / canoe today but have had to cancel as we can’t get diesel. I went out from midnight to 0100ish last night and my wife was out again at 0630 in the hope of finding something but all local stations (SE on the coast) are out of fuel and not expecting deliveries until Mon. I’m a tad frustrated. 
For me it’s another example of an entirely predictable slow motion car crash which this government has not only done nothing to avoid but actively made worse with incompetent messaging and failure to act. 
l think part of the problem here (apart from a complete lack of faith in the government - if they say don’t panic buy everyone rushes to panic buy) is the locally imposed ‘max £30 spend’. This is a quarter of a tank for us and means we need to visit a fuel station 4 times as frequently; times this by the number of cars in the SE and you’ve got problems. 
I think the issue could be resolved overnight by only allowing those with less than an eighth of a tank fill up but allowing them to take as much as they like.  

A very nice elderly neighbour proudly informed me that she’d managed to fill all of her 3 cars and motorhome in 11 visits throughout the week; when I asked her if she had a trip planned she told me she was staying at home as there far too many  traffic jams caused by people queuing…

I await with the interest the inevitable responses pointing out that it’s my fault for living in the South; you may have a point!

Post edited at 10:41
OP Tallie 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks OW - that explains it!

I never visit the murky politics corner of UKC (too depressing!) and tend to forget it exists. 

I’ll re-post there; Mods please feel free to delete or allow this thread to die naturally. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...