destruction testing a 30 year old Troll MK7 harness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Snyggapa 23 Sep 2021

I have a probably 30 year old Troll MK7 harness , been stored well for what I guess would be 30 years and used for very occasional top roping throughout that time. It has the absolute comedy design feature of velcro on the waist band where you velcro it up and then do up the doubled back buckle up - which means that when you weight it for the first time there is this terrible ripping sound as the velcro shifts and you have time to think "did I do the buckle up...".

But anyhow - does anyone have the capability and inclination to test it to destruction ? The belay loop looks solid and the waist belt looks like you could hang a tank off of it. 

I would happily send it to someone if they had the means, in the interests of science, of course... 

In reply to Snyggapa:

Leeds University used to have a rig; one Andy Perkins did hid PhD with it, but it was sized extra large.......

Wingnut 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Snyggapa:

See if there's an engineering student/uni department who'd be interested ... back when I was a student, half the climbing club were engineers, and pulling old kit apart in the labs was a not uncommon passtime.

chris_r 24 Sep 2021
In reply to Snyggapa:

> It has the absolute comedy design feature of velcro on the waist band where you velcro it up and then do up the doubled back buckle up - which means that when you weight it for the first time there is this terrible ripping sound as the velcro shifts and you have time to think "did I do the buckle up...".

I remember that sound well. Which muppet thought that was a good "feature" of a harness?

Trangia 24 Sep 2021
In reply to Snyggapa:

It would be really interesting to see the results of tests like this on old equipment. It's often a discussion on these forums  concerning the shelf life of climbing gear, and it would be helpful to have some live feedback.

Obviously manufacturers have to err on the safe side and will probably build in a large safety margin to avoid any risk of being sued. When buying second hand gear there is always a risk attached because you don't know the full history of a bit of equipment, but when it comes to your own gear you do, and I suspect many climbers use equipment for a much longer period than the manufacturer's recommended shelf life, and in most cases it is likely to still be safe?

chris_r 24 Sep 2021
In reply to Trangia:

> It would be really interesting to see the results of tests like this on old equipment

> and in most cases it is likely to still be safe?

Totally agree that it would be interesting to know, but knowing that one bit of old gear is still safe, doesn't mean that all old gear is safe. Therefore I don't think a test "pass" would change my behavior. Perhaps a catastrophic failure would though!

Ian_Cognito 24 Sep 2021
In reply to chris_r:

The Petzl "Jump" harness had the same Velcro "assist".

Was actually quite handy when trying to put it on with all your gear still racked.

OP Snyggapa 24 Sep 2021
In reply to chris_r:

>>Therefore I don't think a test "pass" would change my behavior. Perhaps a catastrophic failure would though!

my thoughts entirely 

Hat Dude 24 Sep 2021
In reply to chris_r:

> I remember that sound well. Which muppet thought that was a good "feature" of a harness?

Was potentially an accident waiting to happen - somebody does up the velcro, gets distracted and forgets to do up the buckle

Toerag 24 Sep 2021
In reply to Snyggapa:

I had one of these (well, a mk7 vario) so would be interested to see the results. Aside from the safety risk from not doing up the buckle, it was a very good trad harness I think.

chris_r 24 Sep 2021
In reply to Toerag:

> I had one of these (well, a mk7 vario) so would be interested to see the results. Aside from the safety risk from not doing up the buckle, it was a very good trad harness I think.

I remember an old harness (possibly Petzl Mercury ?) had "DANGER" written on the buckle in red. You had to double back the strap to cover it. Simple but effective.

Cobra_Head 24 Sep 2021
In reply to chris_r:

> I remember that sound well. Which muppet thought that was a good "feature" of a harness?

I does make you look and check it fastened properly though.

Very scary when it first happens though

PaulJepson 24 Sep 2021
In reply to Snyggapa:

DMM might give it a test? I know they have done similar before. 

cezza 25 Sep 2021
In reply to Snyggapa:

Contact SAR Products. They have some shared history with Troll. I’ve asked, and they will test it in house for you.

https://www.sar-products.com/home/

Cezza

deepsoup 25 Sep 2021
In reply to cezza:

> They have some shared history with Troll.

Arguably more shared history with pre-1993 Troll than 2021 Troll have.

There's clearly an appetite to see what happens when that old harness is tested, but having been stored carefully all this time it seems to me like a bit of a shame to destroy it.

OP Snyggapa 25 Sep 2021
In reply to cezza:

Thanks. I did get an email from someone who has offered to test it - if that doesn't work out I will give them a call.

Will post back with the results when done. Agree with others that it is a shame to destroy it, but as a 30 year old piece of safety critical gear - how many would want to take a lead fall on it...

top cat 25 Sep 2021
In reply to Ian_Cognito:

> The Petzl "Jump" harness had the same Velcro "assist".

> Was actually quite handy when trying to put it on with all your gear still racked.

Both my BD harnesses have this feature and I find it very helpful too.

Steve5543 26 Sep 2021
In reply to Snyggapa:

Send it to Ryan at how not to high line you tube channel. 

OP Snyggapa 26 Sep 2021
In reply to top cat:

helpful, and terrifying, in equal measure

top cat 27 Sep 2021
In reply to Snyggapa:

> helpful, and terrifying, in equal measure

Ahh, but I don't scare easily and I'm old enough not to be a snowflake

PaulTclimbing 27 Sep 2021
In reply to Snyggapa:

No, but I’ve still got a whillans somewhere. Would love to see some uni lads take lobs to test that to destruction. It would bring a tear to my eyes at the thought of the losses. 

Darkinbad 27 Sep 2021
In reply to PaulTclimbing:

I once met a guy in N Wales who had suffered 50% losses due to a big lob in a Whillans harness. He was remarkably matter of fact about it, if slightly bitter.

I learnt to climb at school with Whillans harnesses, but when I left I went straight out and bought a nice comfy Troll (Mk III, IIRC).

fred99 27 Sep 2021
In reply to PaulTclimbing:

> No, but I’ve still got a whillans somewhere. Would love to see some uni lads take lobs to test that to destruction. It would bring a tear to my eyes at the thought of the losses. 

It would probably bring a few tears to THEIR eyes if they were to take lobs that way.

(And a lump or two to the throat)

CantClimbTom 06 Oct 2021
In reply to Trangia:

> Obviously manufacturers have to err on the safe side and will probably build in a large safety margin to avoid any risk of being sued.

The industry never forgot... https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-05-11-we-3605-story.html

Edit: and the bizarre/implausible climbing accident at the start of Stallone's film Cliffhanger ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliffhanger_(film) ) is a slightly obtuse reference to this

Post edited at 13:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...