Peak midges?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Moacs 23 Sep 2021

Having a w/e on grit.  Weather looks mild, but dull and still.  Where won't I get eaten too badly?

Midges love me, so it's a public service to distract them all away from you...

Andypeak 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Moacs:

Forecast looks ok midge wise to me. South west wind between 10 and 15 mph, any of the normal crags should be fine. 

robert-hutton 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Moacs:

Not a chance for midges today the wind is so strong you have a job to walk never mind flying

OP Moacs 23 Sep 2021
In reply to robert-hutton:

Thanks...but I'm looking at Saturday

Connor Nunns 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Moacs:

It's not been bad when I've been out recently, I think the worst of them have died off.

Boy Global Crag Moderator 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Moacs:

I agree, the forecast looks like it has potential for plentiful midges on the eastern edges.

Your best options are:

- Limestone - Peak midges are very snobby about rocktype and generally don't go near the lime.

- High moorland grit - The predicted windspeeds at higher levels look strong enough to stop the midges. Just make sure you pick an exposed crag, not in the lee of the hill.

- Lowland grit - Some grit crag, in pastural surroundings rather than moorland are less prone to midges. E.g. Black Rocks, Cratcliffe, the Amber Valley, or Churnet (yes I know some Churnet crags are not grit).

kmsands 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Moacs:

Internet suggested that "Avon Skin So Soft" doubles up as an effective and not too expensive midge repellent at £3.50 a bottle. So I took a punt on it for a trip to Ogwen Valley last weekend, and after the first three minutes was surprised to discover it actually worked.

Also you smell of Jojoba right up until a first pitch of climbing ruins the effect.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...