Camping at the Roaches upper tier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wlloyd 11 Sep 2021

Is camping allowed at the roaches? I was there last night and saw a pretty sizable group of people who had set up tents at the upper tier on the main path by the sloth.
I was always under the impression that wild camping wasn't permitted in the peak and that you cant just pitch a tent where you like. Does anyone know any different?
I did have a brief chat with one of them who said there group leader had talked to the landowner?? The term group leader sorta inplies that there is someone who runs trips for this. It's the first I've heard of anything like this. Can anyone shed any light on this I had always thought that this wasn't allowed?

nigel n 11 Sep 2021
In reply to wlloyd:

The Roaches used to belong to the Peak Park but has been passed to the Staffordshire Wildlife Trust.  I can't believe they would ever sanction camping in such a sensitive location

tjdodd 11 Sep 2021
In reply to wlloyd:

It is very clear on all the signs that camping is not allowed. Given the fire destruction a couple of years back I can't imagine Staffordshire wildlife Trust allowing camping. 

tjdodd 11 Sep 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

Article from June 2020 which I imagine still reflects the Trusts position

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/burton/parking-problems-crowds-flock-major...

"At the Roaches recently, several wild campers left the ground smouldering when they left and could easily have spread and caused a huge wildfire.

Two years ago, almost 40 hectares of this internationally protected moorland went up in smoke because of an unattended campfire.

The charity [Staffordshire Wildlife Trust] is emphasising that it is never acceptable to have barbecues or campfires in the countryside and wild camping is not allowed on any of its reserves."

nigel n 11 Sep 2021
In reply to wlloyd:

Anyone up for a spot of trundling from the top of the upper tier?

angry pirate 11 Sep 2021
In reply to nigel n:

You could probably wee off the upper tier onto the tents. Slightly less fatal.

gravy 11 Sep 2021
In reply to wlloyd:

I can't imagine it's allowed and please, please make it that camping isn't allowed - the place will be trashed.

On a related topic any news of the Roaches campsite being open?

tjdodd 11 Sep 2021
In reply to gravy:

> On a related topic any news of the Roaches campsite being open?

New one's just opened on the upper tier near the Sloth.  Very cheap apparently.

I was up there last weekend.  I didn't take much notice of the field where the site is/used to be but there weren't obvious signs of it.

An alternative is the one by Newstones.  Ideal for bouldering and still close for the Roaches (but you'd probably want to drive the short distance).

Post edited at 21:59
 Spidermonkee 12 Sep 2021
In reply to gravy:

Sign still says its closed. 

Marek 12 Sep 2021
In reply to Spidermonkee:

Pity that no one was able to redirect them to the Cow and Calf as a 'better alternative'. That would have been interesting.

duchessofmalfi 13 Sep 2021
In reply to Spidermonkee:

That's a shame - one of my favourites.

mattc 13 Sep 2021
In reply to wlloyd:

I would be amazed if they hadn't been moved on. I was chatting to a park ranger the other week he was out with binoculars looking for campers to move them. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...